Stock piston Delip and Coated

D.Swain

Reaction score
Have 44k miles on the stock pistons. Will be pulling the heads to do studs, and figured I should look into doing the pistons too. Since my pistons are fine and low miles, could I just have a local race engine builder De Lip them and ceramic coat them. Says hes done this on several other 6.4 builds.

sootie

Reaction score
that would work.

for a few hundo more you could just slide maxxforce 7 pistons in

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
not sure what it will cost Derek but I have some hd pistons coated I can let go cheap. let me know if you're interested.

D.Swain

Reaction score
just sent you a PM.... anyone else wanna chime in? Talked to a couple ford techs in the area and they all said they've never seen a cracked piston. That's what led me to believe it wasn't very common. One of them works at a dealer that was tuner "friendly" if you catch my drift. But if they are common then guess they are.. idk.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
just sent you a PM.... anyone else wanna chime in? Talked to a couple ford techs in the area and they all said they've never seen a cracked piston. That's what led me to believe it wasn't very common. One of them works at a dealer that was tuner "friendly" if you catch my drift. But if they are common then guess they are.. idk.

Man , broken/cracked pistons are so ungodly common on the 6.4. These guys at the ford dealership must have never worked on a 6.4.

D.Swain

Reaction score
Ya, im not arguing with any of you guys. Yall know more than I do. Just doing my research ha. It seems like a good idea, and then you read about all these guys who just do studs and run it and never look back and it makes you second guess haha.

I got quoted $400 to Delip and coat my stock pistons. But if I can get HD ones for only a little more then that makes sense.

Think my biggest thing im not looking forward to is doubling my labor time when I get back. Assuming its quite a job increase to go from just lifting the cab and doing heads (couple days), to pulling the whole engine. Gotta pull everything off and separate from the tranny and all that good stuff. Was kinda hoping to spend a week or less on this build.

Think only additional engine tear down would be just drop the pan and that it aint it? Shouldn't have to pull the bed plate or any covers or anything off?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

crazy, but I have to imagine people simply aren't taking motor jobs to dealerships because they know they're going to get quoted $16k to swing a new unit in...

this past winter we had a couple good cold snaps back to back, and saw SIX 6.4 trucks come in with cracked pistons in a 5 week span.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Don't mean to derail but are the HD pistons maxxforce pistons? Or no?

the maxxforce pistons only come in standard bore... the HD pistons are aftermarket, but are replacements for the updated Intl pistons.

so, if you're stock bore, OEM Intl pistons are the play IMO

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
the maxxforce pistons only come in standard bore... the HD pistons are aftermarket, but are replacements for the updated Intl pistons.

so, if you're stock bore, OEM Intl pistons are the play IMO

No the maxx force are the hd pistons.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Ya, im not arguing with any of you guys. Yall know more than I do. Just doing my research ha. It seems like a good idea, and then you read about all these guys who just do studs and run it and never look back and it makes you second guess haha.

I got quoted $400 to Delip and coat my stock pistons. But if I can get HD ones for only a little more then that makes sense.

Think my biggest thing im not looking forward to is doubling my labor time when I get back. Assuming its quite a job increase to go from just lifting the cab and doing heads (couple days), to pulling the whole engine. Gotta pull everything off and separate from the tranny and all that good stuff. Was kinda hoping to spend a week or less on this build.

Think only additional engine tear down would be just drop the pan and that it aint it? Shouldn't have to pull the bed plate or any covers or anything off?

That's the thing. Everything is already off in order to do heads. Basically unbolt the mounts and pull it out.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
it's cheap insurance if the thing is down that far... less than $1000. If you crack a stocker, you'll bury your foot halfway up your own ass because you're kicking yourself so hard...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
for sure. I have many of them in stock and will wheel and deal coated or uncoated :)

Latest posts

Members online