Cracked head question

Cknox121

Reaction score
So I'm getting geared up to do studs in my truck.

IIRC I remember reading a thread about cracked heads and some one reusing them? Would I be stupid to reuse my heads if they are cracked? Who's to say if I drop the coin on new heads that they won't crack after being studded? If they crack on a stock truck, what makes them not crack being studded? Just looking for opinions here.

Thanks

Cody

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

09stroker

Reaction score
When I studded my motor my heads had lots of cracks. Prior to disassembly there was no loss of coolant or any signs of head gasket problems so I just threw them back on. Been two years since I did it and who know how long they were cracked before that.

Cknox121

Reaction score
When I studded my motor my heads had lots of cracks. Prior to disassembly there was no loss of coolant or any signs of head gasket problems so I just threw them back on. Been two years since I did it and who know how long they were cracked before that.

That's what I'm thinking... If the pressure test good and and can be decked flat, I believe I'm going to reuse them

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Pull them off and see how bad they are, they may be ok. I just sent the heads for my shorty out, and they checked out fine. That's 160k on a bone stock motor. Sure they have a couple small exhaust seat cracks, but hardened seats will fix those.

78f100

Reaction score
My machine shop says they have only ever had one head with no cracks. The pretty much all have some cracking. I had a few sets from ford with cracks, they have a spec on cracks and I think its fairy lenient. ..lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.