IDI Idle

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So i just got a phone call from a friend who just bought and idi and he says his idle is kinda low and he doesnt know how to check it or adjust it?

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
idle screw is on the pass side of the IP...takes a flathead screwdriver to adjust.... 650ish warm 850ish cold

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Thanks, we will go and adjust it now. He called freaking out about it so I told him he could borrow my timing light because it has a tach reading on it and that way he wouldnt have to jump around too see what it was set at. Told him all you need to do is hook it up to the battery and #1 spark plug wire.....He said he would be right over. So i gotta good laugh outta that. He calls back maybe 5 mins later and in all seriousness informs me that Diesels dont have spark plugs. Im turning purple at this point. Then i told him i forgot idi's have distributors for the glow plugs and thats where he will get his reading. He's convinced and he's on his way. So he gets here and pops his hood and points to the alternator and says theres only 3 wires coming from my distributor, is that right? I hit the floor laughing. Well after about 15 mins later of bsing my neighbor drives by and his idi sounds just like my friends at idle. So im pretty sure the trucks fine but it doesnt help his tach doesnt work. Just gonna have to go by ear i guess.

Last edited:

Brads93 idi

Reaction score
Since were on this subject i have a 93 turbo idi how do u check the rpms ... I pulled my gauges out to pill the green tent off and now I know my tach isn't right

Brads93 idi

Reaction score
And iv always had a problem even before I did my gauges wjere the tach would bounce when I had the turn signals on and it would drop when I turn my lights on what could be the cause of that ???

Otahyoni

Reaction score
If your tach is changing with the lights or turn signals, i'd look at a possible ground issue with the cluster, or less likely, a power issue... Something is causing the cluster to not get the power it needs and the turn indicators and parking lights are drawing it down...

My $.02