Why does my 7.3 rattle sound so different using LE oil

jimdawg185

Reaction score
For 5 gal pails, is there a recommended transfer pump that works well? I'd rather not pour material to / from multiple containers.

Tractor supply and harbor freight have some. But honestly, the transfer container works very easily and very well. I rarely spill more than a drop. It dumps 5 quarts into the engine in a few seconds. The opening is large enough to pour into with ease. It’s what most of my manufacturing and power generation customers use.
The only better method is a drum and an air pneumatic pump with a flow counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I pour fluids from 5 gal pales all the time. I put the bucket in our parts washer thats hot as hell and 15w40 pours like water. Just like gear oil.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I assume the 8700 is 15w40? I really don't want to give up my cold start ability that I feel I gain with 5w40

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I assume the 8700 is 15w40? I really don't want to give up my cold start ability that I feel I gain with 5w40

5-40 can work. But if you take all the data and the thousands of 7.3s I have to spec oil for, 15-40 overall is a better choice. I have to look big picture for my customers. Case by case I have recommended 5-40 or 10-30 before. But big picture it’s a bandage for poor starting characteristics. Most of the time because my 15-40 has better cold flow than others it’s an overall improvement. But, because 5-40 and 10-30 don’t really have too many drawbacks in the 7.3 unless you’re making decent power i generally don’t fight against it. In the 6.0 it’s another story.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i wouldnt worry to much. here is a testimonial for 8700. if you are that worried then maybe go with 8800.. its a synthetic 15w40.

one of our log trucks that has a c15 kitty cat in it was up in lake placid for the last couple weeks. temps dropped into negative digits and the pro heat quit working and for some dam reason, it doesnt have a block heater. using 8700 15w40 it started every morning. granted it isny a heui motor but that is still a big bicth to turn over that cold. the driver said it spun over and started with ease.. but it also only has 700hrs on a fresh rebuilt motor... not sure if that matters or not but still....

live life full throttle

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I will be running the 8700 where I live in Montana and it gets darn cold
In the winter and I’ll keep you posted

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I'm a little out in left field here with this oil change. Since I've swapped engines I've been using delo-15/40 and I haven't had any issues till the last time I changed oil. Which was a couple 3 months ago and I had an oil loss. I also noticed a little oil puddled up where it was parked last night. Of course I need to investigate it and see where it's leaking. And most likely it probably doesn't have any thing to do with whatever change they've made in motor oil. So what is everyone using in these old 7.3's now? I'm not much into buying stuff online like that I just assumed to go to a parts store and do my business. I usually get chevron delo for 15$ a gallon. And what exactly have they done to the oil?

C2tuck

Reaction score
Well you won’t find Jim’s oil at the auto parts store...I could tell an immediate difference in the sound on my 6.7.

Jim- did you really say 30k mile change intervals??

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well you won’t find Jim’s oil at the auto parts store...I could tell an immediate difference in the sound on my 6.7.

with filter change and topping back off every 5k miles along with uoa every filter change im sure it can be done.

live life full throttle

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score

I don’t suggest past 15 without analysis to keep an eye on dilution and soot loads. But I went 30 in my 6.4 and now in my 6.7. Corbin is going 25. But we both do 5k analysis.
The oil is more than capable, but what gets into the oil is what causes damage. So that needs to be kept tabs on. 15 is a good pm with 5k filter changes.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Lowest oil temp I've started the truck with this year has been 32 degrees. I swear I think this stuff flows significantly better than the Delo. Truck fires right up with no romps. Can't wait to do some cold starts with oil temps in the teens. Starter and batteries are no more than a year old and injectors and hpop have 175k+ on them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Lowest oil temp I've started the truck with this year has been 32 degrees. I swear I think this stuff flows significantly better than the Delo. Truck fires right up with no romps. Can't wait to do some cold starts with oil temps in the teens. Starter and batteries are no more than a year old and injectors and hpop have 175k+ on them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
i did a pour test last winter when it was in the teens between mobil 1300 15w40, rotella 15w40, delo 15w40 and the delo pours way better then those. this 8700 so far pours like a synthetic. but i haven't done a side by side like that since i have a shop now and it hasn't been in the teens yet. i will compare as i have a jug of delo left over from before i switched.

live life full throttle

jimdawg185

Reaction score
What do you charge for the analysis?

I generally like to set up a customer depending on their goals and duty cycle. Some buy 10 packs with our without TBN (160$ discounted with, 96$ for ten without. Gives you your own account with Polaris Labs)
Singles are 28$
Some I do for free in specific situations.

The overall goal is to match the customer with the best value that safely attains the PMs for that customer. Some people don’t care if they over buy, but I try to guide everyone so they don’t have to.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I’m just changed oil on my 6.0 with the 8700 and it does sound a little different. I’ll be towing this weekend so I’ll see how it acts

Latest posts

Members online