Back in a 6.0!! Wanna mod on the cheap

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So after 8 years I've found myself back in a 6.0. Never thought I'd see the day, especially how much I loved my (3) 6.4s but none the less I'm here! So... Short version, I've got a completely stock 2005 with 115k on it. It has a brand new oil cooler, EGR and turbo gone through by Ford in the last 10K miles.

I'm wanting to do this on the cheap as we're looking to pick up a camper and would rather spend my money there at this timel. Won't be heavy so the truck won't be straining to much but I do want it to perform. I've been way out of the loop on 6.0's for a long time, sold ours off in 2008.

So what's the list?!

- High Idle Mod (will find directions somewhere)
- should I throw a coolant filter on it?
- Exhaust or just a CAT ****** pipe?
- EGR ******s - I'm confused with all the options, on how much or little i need for this and if the Delta Kit covers everything I need?
- Tuner - Who's the best these days and on what monitor? Going to have to drill and tap for EGT's right? Note I don't even want to buy anything over a mild street tune... I know myself and don't want 6.0 problems lol
- blue spring mod??
- Intake really worth the money if staying on the cheap?
- Any piping needed with the EGR ******?
- CCV worth doing? I see some oil buildup on the boots for sure

What are the easy one's I'm missing guys? Sorry for the "Newbie" questions, like I said, it's been a long time!

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
First off, coolant filter is a must. Full exhaust is nice, but if you want to stay cheap, pull the kitty and take an air hammer to it... I prefer welding the cooler for taking care of the egr, but thats just me. From what ive heard, stock air boxes will flow enoigh for what you are looking for with a mild street tune, ccv mod isnt a bad idea, probably get some new boots to take care of the leaks. Ditch the plastic tube if it has it. If you are doing stuff with the egr, either replace the section of up pipe, or knock the baffle out of it, as it blocks like half the pipe on the 05+. Sct with tunes... I lime idp, gear head seems to be a go to, tsd has pretty good tunes as well. I would be saving for studs if i were you as well. It should last a while on bolts, but the time will come, and we all know "i want a mild street tune only" only lasts until a mustang or camaro decides to be a prick... LOL

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
- Coolant Filter - Done
- Tuning - Going to go with Edge CTS2 Pro and ******** tunes
- EGR - http://sinisterdiesel.com/i-1588345...-kit-for-ford-powerstroke-2003-2007-6-0l.html
- I'll throw a blue spring Mod on while I'm at it

I am still a bit confused on where the "Delta Kit" comes into play here. I know were shooting for near matching delta's and that kit helps but what does it bring to the table over the Sinister kit? I'm not sure I fully get what the Delta Kit does.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
nor would i use anything called "delta kit". snake oil at best...

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Hmm... preferred vendors for EGR kits and coolant filter?

I'd like to replace the up pipe and re route the coolant like the Sinister kit does, or so it appears.

I'm ok without a delta kit assuming the EGR gets appropriately taken care of.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Dieselsite for the coolant filter, they were the originals.

I use an RCD kit for the EGR stuff. Made in USA. (cheaper than the copied and painted blue Sinister stuff too)

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I completely forget about RCD. I worked with those guys way back in the day. Like I said, it's been a minute!! I'll give them a look, thanks for the feedback.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Spend 5 bucks in the android store. Pick up a android tablet. Buy a good obd2 to blue tooth and. Run torque for gauges. It will also help for diagnostics. Forscan is a handy scan tool that has alot of functionality for the cost of free on a windows based computer that you can get bluetooth on or a adapter for. Ive always cleared the cat and prefer a welded egr cooler as its alot less hassle from the authorities. Ive run sct for years and currently running a edge evoluotion in my current 6.0. It works i liked tuning on the sct platform better but currently thats a apples to oranges comparison as 2 of my 6.0 trucks were automatics and my current one is a manual 6spd. I cant shift it half as fast as the automatic does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Follow up question...didn't want to start a new thread.

Injectors require a minimum 45 psi correct?
What's factory PSI?
What's blue spring PSI?
How much is too much PSI? I've read a few things about blowing O-Rings

Last edited:

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Iirc around 85-90 is blowing orings. Each truck can widely vary on actual fuel psi before and after the spring mod. The psi ford relies on is at the secondary filter. There is likely a huge drop at the back of the head which is why the cross over and or regulated return has been preached so hard thru the years

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've run 95psi from my veggie system before without any issue, FWIW.

Ford spec is 45psi min. But like Lubbockguy pointed out, where is one measuring this 45psi?

What's really important is volume. You want to maintain that 55ish psi or higher without it dropping. 55psi at idle doesn't mean anything.

To answer your question though, typically stock pressure is in the 55psi range, blue spring is in the 65-68psi range. It doesn't really do anything for you unless your stock spring was weak and collapsing. Bumping from 55 to 65 at idle doesn't help much if you already can't maintain at WOT.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I've run 95psi from my veggie system before without any issue, FWIW.

Ford spec is 45psi min. But like Lubbockguy pointed out, where is one measuring this 45psi?

What's really important is volume. You want to maintain that 55ish psi or higher without it dropping. 55psi at idle doesn't mean anything.

To answer your question though, typically stock pressure is in the 55psi range, blue spring is in the 65-68psi range. It doesn't really do anything for you unless your stock spring was weak and collapsing. Bumping from 55 to 65 at idle doesn't help much if you already can't maintain at WOT.

I am very much considering veggie on this truck which is one of the reasons I'm asking...

Can I ask... did you use the factory banjo bolts as your D2 check valves? As much as I want a BFT kit I'm considering the K.I.S.S. method and plumbing up a very simple setup.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Can someone explain FICM tuning to me? I see 40,80, atlas, and other tunes for FICM's but want to understand how that correlates to regular tuning.

What's the best thing to do here? I've seen a snap shot of a monitor reading FICM voltage before. If the Edge CTS2 Pro can monitor that should I just watch it and be aware, or is it a nice upgrade to be proactive on? Just remember the goal of reliable and sometimes light tow pig. Not looking to break any records.

sootie

Reaction score
ficm tuners have access to certain parameters that pcm tuning does not. Mainly related to low end fueling. personally i have never had a need for it. Beware, the only guys that tune ficms are PHP and if you match their ficm tuning with other tuners pcm tuning, the results may not be great.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So what about higher voltage/bulletproof FICMs? They will work with any tuning I assume.

Can I monitor voltage from the Edge and upgrade when needed or is the 58V a nice upgrade?

sootie

Reaction score
yes,, higher volt ficms will work with any tuning. I have had great luck with regular volt ficms. I dont see the need to increase the load and heat on the injector solenoids.

yes you can monitor the voltage and upgrade as required. Anything over 47v and all is happy.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The idea behind the 58v ficm is the same as the 7.3. The idea is to prevent stiction and or overcome it by increasing the power to the injector spool valves. Some folks say it give better hp and mpg as with anything diesel related you mpg may vary. As far as tuning the ficm both php and idp were doing it but i havent been a avid follower of all things 6.0 so that may no longer be true. As said earlier the ficm is not reach able by most tuning platforms sct for example. In the early days the old diablo tuners did do ficm tuning btw. With ficm tuning you can adjust low end fueling and allow more pulse width in the tunes, it can also assist the inductive heat that ford botched to help with stictation that wasnthe culprit of ficm failure circa 06-08. It also has been said to assist in hp and tq all thru the rpm band coupled with the right tuning and again some claim mpg improvement

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.