6.4 overheated, no start

rjustman

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking at buying a 2008 f450, it has 137k miles and has been used for exactly what's ita built for, it was a tow rig for a company..the guy said it overheated and now won't crank..ive been on this forum, as well as others and Google looking for these symptoms and have came up empty handed..most of the time 6.0 issues come up..the truck is extremely clean, guy said all oil and coolant levels are and have been good..any idea what could cause this? Is there some sort of safety item that might need reset? I do not k ow if motor turns over..guy kinda seems like when something breaks he buys new, maybe not the case but he bought a new 2017 to what sounds like replace this truck when it happen..i can get a really good deal on the truck and if I can keep this motor running and working it would be that much better..

Thoughts? I'm not familiar at all with the 6.4..dont k ow the first thing about them..

Thanks

Richard

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
By the air box there is a bullet style wiring connector. Squeeze and pull it apart and jump 12v to the male side. That will bypass the truck and starter should engage.

Now if it just clicks, then it might be seized or bad starter.

rjustman

Reaction score
I know exactly what wire that is..what are the chances major internal damage occured?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've only seen 1 or 2 over the years that had major damage. Not very likely

rjustman

Reaction score
Been having guys tell me a rod is probably broke locking motor up..i won't know till I get truck, but do these trucks have the tendency to burn up pistons and break rods and stuff?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
My truck overheated one day, pretty sure. That's what the cause was. Swole so bad i bent mostly every connecting rod. Melted a couple pistons (not bad) but do have to do a rebuild... that 1 or 2 CTC talk's about is probably including mine
It was a freak accident I could of saved if 1.) i changed the fuel filters immediately after i got it 2.) ******d it 3.) changed the dirty air filter.. but my hpfp was also chafed so. It could of just grounded out and ran dry and locked up too. Anywho. I couldn't be more happier with my build now and so worth it. So if you get it for a goodprice! Do it!
I'm in it $9500 including the truck. That's a stage 1 build. Dynamic diesel stage 1 kit, valvesprings/pushrods/ARP's etc..
So its not bad if your fuel system is still fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking at buying a 2008 f450, it has 137k miles and has been used for exactly what's ita built for, it was a tow rig for a company..the guy said it overheated and now won't crank..ive been on this forum, as well as others and Google looking for these symptoms and have came up empty handed..most of the time 6.0 issues come up..the truck is extremely clean, guy said all oil and coolant levels are and have been good..any idea what could cause this? Is there some sort of safety item that might need reset? I do not k ow if motor turns over..guy kinda seems like when something breaks he buys new, maybe not the case but he bought a new 2017 to what sounds like replace this truck when it happen..i can get a really good deal on the truck and if I can keep this motor running and working it would be that much better..

Thoughts? I'm not familiar at all with the 6.4..dont k ow the first thing about them..

Thanks

Richard

then run away from this one....or any for that matter.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oh I missed that part. Yes run or have a mechanic come look at it

rjustman

Reaction score
Don't understand? Why run? I'm pretty mechanically inclined I do all my own work, did a good job on a cummins swap..why are these so bad?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Don't understand? Why run? I'm pretty mechanically inclined I do all my own work, did a good job on a cummins swap..why are these so bad?

There not bad, those guys just have a lot of experience and unless your stubborn like me and just love the fact that the 6.4 is an animal and love watching others like Tim Jahn broke records at the diesel power challenge with his 6.4! Checkout his rig!
Than 6.4's might not be for you. And unless you have deep pockets, or get a proper diagnosis and your prepared.. yea run. Because there might be more than you expect wrong and you'll be pounding your head. The 6.4 is great but nothing can be overlooked.
I say if you want too, even after people saying it might not be the best engine to "play with" then do it but expect the consequences if it's more than what you think.
Have it diagnosed.....
Or be like me and just tear it our! Order a stage1 kit! And the best supporting mods and giver!
I don't regret it at all, i went through what your going through! I had tons and tons and tons of people saying run. Didn't listen...but couldn't be happier
d314a6bd69d004772967bc76de81da28.jpg
84ab320524c561af62981170ecc393d9.jpg
9647c9567595f5c86d5b43c776092cc0.jpg

My precious..
f6bebe38f3ed030c01c0bbb1016c18b9.jpg

Going hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjustman

Reaction score
I just want it to tow with..thats all..it won't ever be a modified crazy beast..just a work truck..im looking at giving 8k for it, I have a core buyer lined up to buy motor for 2k if it is in fact hurt.and I have another good running motor lined up complete from radiator to flexplate for 5k lined up..i will ****** and stud new motor before install recourse, but other than that what's there to be afraid of? Not trying to smerk at anyone, just an honest question..do these have oil cooler failures and coolant issues like the 6.0..this is a high pressure commonrail system like a duramax and cummins right?

boggerr

Reaction score
Do some research on the 6.4s, read some old threads in the aftermarket and tech section on here. There are a lot guys on here, like Sootie, that will tell you to run cause they have done the 6.4 thing and know what it is to own a 6.4. It's not cheap and most likely you will be dumping more money into it then it's worth.

Sure, there are many people making some serious power with them but ask them how many times the cab has been off and engine has been apart for failures. That goes for just tuned every day trucks also.

You are the only one that can make the decision if it's worth it to spend the money and time. It does get expensive with a 6.4

Do a search on cracked pistons if you have time do some reading. If I did more research I would still have my 7.3

sootie

Reaction score
I have owned multiple six fours. And started messing with them from before there was deelet tuning for them. Trust me-i was a pretty die hard fan. There comes a point when it simply doesnt make sense to keep them going.

There are fundamental issues with them that cannot be fixed period. Poor oiling to top end components, HPFP failures, lifters coming apart.

What you will find is the guys that recommend sticking with a six four either have just finished a "build" on them and havent had any issues-yet... or people that havent owned the trucks long enough/put enough miles on to have major problems.

Of course you have certain people that claim they have had no trouble with them, but definitely not the vast majority. The resale value of the trucks shows real world data...

Oh and why do you think the engine core is worth so much??

rjustman

Reaction score
I'm not arguing with anyone jist asking real queations..i appreciate the responses..here in my neck of the woods they sell fast when they are for sale, and they bring decent money..the 450 I mean as a whole..i want it to tow with, to potentially make money with it, and if not to pull my 5th wheel better...IF it turns out that inhale a big problem I will ****** it the appropriate way and put a cummins in it lol..i have a fummins now and it is awesome.it just doesn't have the little a5icker in the door that tells me I can legally tow 25k..thats what I'm after..

I have read aboit the pistons, I have read aboit the water pumps, I have read about the EGR and hot exhaust pipe problems that make the truck run like crap, haven't seen the poor oiling issue yet, but I'm sure I'll come.across it..

A guy here locally services a 6.4 called the transporter, and if I'm not mistaken it's got 700k miles on it, and jist barely started showing signs of a bad rocker aonthey replaced them , dis injectors at the same time, but other than that it's been normal maintenence..but it's been kept up on, not neglected..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I..A guy here locally services a 6.4 called the transporter, and if I'm not mistaken it's got 700k miles on it, and jist barely started showing signs of a bad rocker aonthey replaced them , dis injectors at the same time, but other than that it's been normal maintenence..but it's been kept up on, not neglected..

Nope. Just nope. This is not possible. I'd say at least 60% of 6.4s on the road are on their 2nd motor and probably are just now rounding 250k miles on average..

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I love my 6.4. It has given me no issues that I have not been the direct cause of.

rjustman

Reaction score
On a serious note..lets brain storm..what would make a 6.4 not crank after an overheat condition.

Latest posts

Members online