Sxe turbo sizing

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
Alright. I'm done with the 38r. And drop in turbos. Gonna go t4. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight on what size sxe turbo you would use with 175/80 injectors. Not looking at max horsepower just a clean daily driver that can match the modern stock trucks and something that tows like a beast. Also is there any major difference between the irate and Carson t4 kits?

DieselJpower

Reaction score

The Brad

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78585

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73844

Looking like the 364.5 is where it's at with your injectors

I have a Carson kit and the quality is top notch. Price is a little better too, but what sold me was not needing to change plenums and still be able to install an s400. Not having to mess with the valley plug was nice as well.

On the other hand you don't hear much complaints about the Irate kit either.

Agreed! 364.5/74! As for exhaust housing, I’m running .91, but I’d like to try a 1.0.

jbolen323

Reaction score
you should try a kc38r or kc66.

i have multiple friends running 160cc/30% up to 250cc/100% and cleans them up great, great alternative to a t4 system. (not biased either cause i run t4 on my trucks )

LakeBum

Reaction score

i have multiple friends running 160cc/30% up to 250cc/100% and cleans them up great, great alternative to a t4 system. (not biased either cause i run t4 on my trucks )

Do the math! Sell the 38r, up pipes and pedestal and your only a few hundred from a T4 and SXE.

OP here is my thread: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78980

I have the same setup at The Brad but stock injectors and it kicks butt especially compared to the BB turbo it replaced.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score

Not to be rude cause I have heard and read nothing but good things about kcturbos but I'd rather have the adjustability to say if my 366sxe doesn't work I'll just try a 364.5 or vice versa. It appears with the sxe turbos you can find exactly what you need.

The Brad

Reaction score
Not to be rude cause I have heard and read nothing but good things about kcturbos but I'd rather have the adjustability to say if my 366sxe doesn't work I'll just try a 364.5 or vice versa. It appears with the sxe turbos you can find exactly what you need.

Is that an example, or are you going with the 366?

ja_cain

Reaction score

Should have a few different options from KC in the future. I'm holding out for the 364.5 version with dual BB cartridge. Should be an awesome DD/Tow turbo.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I don't think you have enough fuel for a 66. But you may get away with it with the auto trans. I think the 66 needs a minimum of my setup. At least in my opinion.

superpsd

Reaction score
The 366sxe should work just fine. A few have even ran a 369 on stock injector Superduty trucks. Irate says the 369 spools about as fast as a 38R yet it flows way more air.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The 366sxe should work just fine. A few have even ran a 369 on stock injector Superduty trucks. Irate says the 369 spools about as fast as a 38R yet it flows way more air.

That may be so, but if your goal is to go to something that outperforms your old setup, and the 364.5 outflows his old turbo which he doesn't have enough fuel to overrun anyways, why on earth would you get the next size up? With his goals he posted in the initial post, why would you not get the optimal sized charger? Why sacrifice the extra spoolup ? (Sure it may be marginal, but there must be some difference) Just to say you have a 66mm inducer on your compressor?

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
That may be so, but if your goal is to go to something that outperforms your old setup, and the 364.5 outflows his old turbo which he doesn't have enough fuel to overrun anyways, why on earth would you get the next size up? With his goals he posted in the initial post, why would you not get the optimal sized charger? Why sacrifice the extra spoolup ? (Sure it may be marginal, but there must be some difference) Just to say you have a 66mm inducer on your compressor?

This is my exact thought. I just used 366 vs 364.5 as an example. But I had emailed barder and he recommended the 363 with the 68 turbine and .91 housing. I've read gobs about the 364.5 and everyone loves it. And I've had two reputable tuners recommend the 366. At this point I'm just trying to find a turbo that makes great all around daily driver power and great towing power with a broad curve. Not looking to make an 8000lbs truck into a rocket.

LakeBum

Reaction score
From all my research and conversations, I've yet to see anyone disappointed with a true SXE turbo. If I was you and with your injectors, I would do the 364.5/74/.91 and be done with it. Its proven with stock injectors to 200/80s and beyond?

But I do understand where you are coming from and questioning sizes. I was in the same boat when I was trying to deciding. I too also had a lot of different answers and suggestions from vendors. At the end, I went with the recommendations from actual end users and Im very very happy :thumbup:

ja_cain

Reaction score
This is my exact thought. I just used 366 vs 364.5 as an example. But I had emailed barder and he recommended the 363 with the 68 turbine and .91 housing. I've read gobs about the 364.5 and everyone loves it. And I've had two reputable tuners recommend the 366. At this point I'm just trying to find a turbo that makes great all around daily driver power and great towing power with a broad curve. Not looking to make an 8000lbs truck into a rocket.

I feel like the KC38r is going to be just the ticket for you. Should spool as fast as the 364.5 sx-e due to the dual BB setup.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
Bmcgarvie what did you decide? :popcorn:

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Carson kit with a 364.5/74/.91. Looks like an all around good turbo for everything I do. Just gotta sell that pesky 38r and wait for some Black Friday discounts maybe. But when I get it all installed I'll post a review. Just out of curiosity. Do you guys think I should do studs and springs? Also would these turbos be harder on the pmr?

The Brad

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Carson kit with a 364.5/74/.91. Looks like an all around good turbo for everything I do. Just gotta sell that pesky 38r and wait for some Black Friday discounts maybe. But when I get it all installed I'll post a review. Just out of curiosity. Do you guys think I should do studs and springs? Also would these turbos be harder on the pmr?

Fuel and timing is what can make or break the rods. With GH tuning, you should be good. I don’t have studs (knock on wood), but I did install the Comp valve springs. You should have no problem hitting 40psi, so either get the springs, or keep an eye on the boost gauge.

Latest posts

Members online