6.4 Injector Pulse Width Reading and Coolant Loss

skate918

Reaction score
A buddy of mine picked up a 2008 6.4 a few ago. It's tuned and ******d. Was owned by an older man who claimed he always drive it easy.

Over the weekend he noticed his IPW numbers which are normal in the 600-1000 range at highway speeds will sometimes jump up to around 2000 and then set a code for low fuel rail pressure. The truck runs fine and you wouldn't know it had a code set if you didn't have cruise control set. I kinda am leaning towards the fuel rail pressure sensor.

Yesterday we started looking around making sure everything looked like it should and changing the fuel filters we noticed he was low on coolant.

You can here air escaping out around the upper radiator hose on the drivers side connection at the radiator. It's got coolant all down the both sides of the engine and front suspension. I sprayed some soapy water but couldn't find any obvious leaks. You can see white dried markings on the lower radiator houses. He thinks it is the water pump.

No oil in the water and bi water in the oil.

Needless to say he isn't to happy about the truck. And if you guys have any input on what it might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
see if it has the updated coolant hoses. The early ones were prone to leaking. Is there dried coolant around the degas bottle cap or on the firewall behind the turbos? Is the egr gone?

skate918

Reaction score
see if it has the updated coolant hoses. The early ones were prone to leaking. Is there dried coolant around the degas bottle cap or on the firewall behind the turbos? Is the egr gone?

It doesn't have the updated hoses on it. EGR has been ******d. I don't recall seeing any dried coolant around the degas bottle or turbos but I can have him double check and see.

skate918

Reaction score

No signs of coolant behind the turbos or degas bottle.

sootie

Reaction score
i would say try putting new rad hoses on. Also check the brittle y pipe that runs under the passenger battery tray for cracks.

Latest posts

Members online