7.3 surging after oil change

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Hey guys just changed my oil and truck is surging bad at low rpm. Truck is a 02 tuned with intake and exhaust. I'm running motocraft oil filter and Rotella 15-40. Last time I changed it truck did same thing but I figured it was something else.
Am I doing something wrong? Usually the oil change place does it and I never had this problem. Any help would be great I did a search but not finding a answer. Truck has 250,000 miles and normally runs ok.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Hey guys just changed my oil and truck is surging bad at low rpm. Truck is a 02 tuned with intake and exhaust. I'm running motocraft oil filter and Rotella 15-40. Last time I changed it truck did same thing but I figured it was something else.

Am I doing something wrong? Usually the oil change place does it and I never had this problem. Any help would be great I did a search but not finding a answer. Truck has 250,000 miles and normally runs ok.

Could have an ipr issue. You’ll need ids or AE and monitor to see where the deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Could have an ipr issue. You’ll need ids or AE and monitor to see where the deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was changed not long ago. Why would it only do it after the oil change though. It did this after the last oil change and eventually cleared up but I had to put 500-600 miles before it got better. I guess I will bring it to the oil change place from now on just hate paying 100 bucks to get it changed.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did you fill the filter? With that many miles, the oil pump may be wearing, and you are possibly introducing air into the hi pressure system with a dry filter, causing the surge.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Did you fill the filter? With that many miles, the oil pump may be wearing, and you are possibly introducing air into the hi pressure system with a dry filter, causing the surge.

Yes sir I added oil to the filter but didn't have it full. Maybe a little more than half, I wouldn't have figured it would cause a problem but maybe that's what it is. I did notice and not sure if this is a problem but it took just under 10 seconds for my oil pressure Guage to move. Usually as soon as I start the truck it moves.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Next oil change, try filling it full, and see if that fixes it. It should take 1-1/12 quarts to fill it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its not too bad if you have half a brain. Hardest part is pulling the balancer, but most parts stores will rent pullers. Basically pull the radiator and fan, pull the balancer and swap the oil pump, gasket, and front crank seal.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Next time buy the oil and take it to the place. And buy better oil. Stay away from rotella, motorcraft brand oil, and mobile delvac. DELO oil at walmart is better than what I listed. Or you can get lubrication engineers from jim on here.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Next time buy the oil and take it to the place. And buy better oil. Stay away from rotella, motorcraft brand oil, and mobile delvac. DELO oil at walmart is better than what I listed. Or you can get lubrication engineers from jim on here.
beat me to it!

live life full throttle

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Its not too bad if you have half a brain. Hardest part is pulling the balancer, but most parts stores will rent pullers. Basically pull the radiator and fan, pull the balancer and swap the oil pump, gasket, and front crank seal.

OK thanks I have been looking for a video or something to see how because I'm no mechanic lol. I did just earlier this year install a brand new radiator as well as a new water pump and so excited other stuff so I know how to remove that.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score

Oh wow thanks for the heads up man. Crap I run the rotella in my Tahoe also. I thought I was running good oil I'm pissed I spent a lot of money on this Crap. Guess I need to look at some different oil to run in my vehicles.

CJunkie

Reaction score
What's wrong with motorcraft? I run motorcraft synthetic in my truck so I'm kinda curious.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
There's plenty of powerstrokes out there that run convention 15w40 since new and they're still running decades later. Its all about regular maintenance!

Switching to a synthetic may or may not help in this instance, but if it was fine before with 15w40 rotella then it should be fine with it now.

Like previously stated with out ids you cant see what's going on in the hpop sytem and you need to before you change things that may not be needed to change.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
It was surging bad today then after I run it some it clears up alittle. Then the next time I drive it surges again but at low rpm is when it's the worst. Truck has 250,000 miles with a set of stage 1 injectors tuned by PHP. The hpop has never been changed, not sure if that could be getting weak.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It was surging bad today then after I run it some it clears up alittle. Then the next time I drive it surges again but at low rpm is when it's the worst. Truck has 250,000 miles with a set of stage 1 injectors tuned by PHP. The hpop has never been changed, not sure if that could be getting weak.
need to put it on a computer to see what everything is doing.

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What's wrong with motorcraft? I run motorcraft synthetic in my truck so I'm kinda curious.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I was runnin motorcraft 5-40 synthetic, and switched to le, well, cause i drank the kool-aid. Oil analysis that i bought with my irst bucket of le, came back on the motorcraft with very hi calcium, which according to jimdawg on here, causes the rings to start sticking. The viscosity was also pretty low, and this was at a 5k interval. This oil was from 5quart jugs too, not bulk stuff which could have gotten mixed with other chit.

I work for Ford, and get oil cheaper than i can buy it from jim, aboit half the cost. But with how much i have dumped in my truck over the past few years, im gonna pay the extra for the better stuff personally.

Plus, the truck ran a hell of alot better on the le. Most likely due to the viscosity change, but it runs better none the less. Also, its funny watching the looks on peoples faces when you dump red stuff into your oil fill. :hammer:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was runnin motorcraft 5-40 synthetic, and switched to le, well, cause i drank the kool-aid. Oil analysis that i bought with my irst bucket of le, came back on the motorcraft with very hi calcium, which according to jimdawg on here, causes the rings to start sticking. The viscosity was also pretty low, and this was at a 5k interval. This oil was from 5quart jugs too, not bulk stuff which could have gotten mixed with other chit.

I work for Ford, and get oil cheaper than i can buy it from jim, aboit half the cost. But with how much i have dumped in my truck over the past few years, im gonna pay the extra for the better stuff personally.

Plus, the truck ran a hell of alot better on the le. Most likely due to the viscosity change, but it runs better none the less. Also, its funny watching the looks on peoples faces when you dump red stuff into your oil fill. :hammer:
yup. i tied it all. chevron delo is the only thing that my dually liked and never had issues with. it hasnt been running enough to run LE but when it does, the entire truck will get converted to LE..

and the comment about the red color is spot on. lol. if they grab a quart to add to anything they stop immediately and ask wtf is it to make sure it isnt trans fluid. lol

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online