NOOB: Oxy/Acetylene vs. Electric Arc Welder

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Browse craigslist and find yourself a nice little miller or lincoln mig. There were plenty of deals on them when I was shopping for a larger mig. I had a lincoln 180 mig for years before I finally upgraded within the last year. I learned how to weld with it, and surprised myself at how well it did on some thicker material. I would recommend that welder to anyone looking to do what you want to, occasional projects, build a flatbed, whatever.

I'd imagine miller's comparable model is a great welder for most projects the average Joe can throw at it, just like the Lincoln was. I would go for one of those two, around a 180 amp rating in my opinion.

DBQLSC

Reaction score
If you do find a 110 mig cheap you can also switch gas to 95/5-90/10. (argon/oxygen) That will make it burn hotter. That way if you get a bigger machine later you have a small 110 to use in the driveway, take some place, etc.

renegade

Reaction score
I think you may be a little confused(or maybe I am) form your comments on brazing. You can WELD with a gas torch as well as braze, heat and cut. If I had to have only 1 welding rig it would be a gas torch, with practice you will be amazed at what you can weld with it. I have welded alum beer cans together for years just to show some people it can be done, but a TIG is easier to control and will give much nicer welds than anything else. A MIG is faster and I believe takes a little more skill to get as strong a weld. They each have their purpose, but if given the choice I TIG everything. I use Victor for my gas welder and a Miller Syncrowave for my TIG and a small Lincoln for MIG (no flux core only solid wire) I have been a certified aircraft and pipeline welder for 45yrs, so I have burned, and burned up, my share of metal.

mandkole

Reaction score
I dont weld a lot but love my Hobart 187 GMAW machine. Its Miller's second line so the big online distributors only carry them. Easy to use, very reasonably priced, uses Miller parts and the standard Miller gun.

Latest posts

Members online