Mig advise

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
Well I used a mig for the first time the other day. And I am wondering how the hell do people use them. I sucked and my exhaust looks like bird poop.
I don't get it though because with a stick welder I can hold my own just about anywhere. Any beginners advise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

89 Stroker

Reaction score
i started about a year ago welding , learning from my dad who was a aerospace welder , mig is the easiest out of them all , making sure the settings are set up right and your using the proper gas is the main thing , having the settings off can be a real b!tch , only way to get better is practice practice practice.

iv welded on my exhaust before and it came out terrible , just sh!t metal they are made out of...

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Well I used a mig for the first time the other day. And I am wondering how the hell do people use them. I sucked and my exhaust looks like bird poop.
I don't get it though because with a stick welder I can hold my own just about anywhere. Any beginners advise?

Could be the gas or gas flow out of the nozzle, check the nozzle and make sure there is no slag built up in there

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Could be the gas or gas flow out of the nozzle, check the nozzle and make sure there is no slag built up in there

that too , if the nozzle gets to much spatter in it it can short out and cause problems with the gas flow , make sure u have enough gas flow to begin with , did u happen to weld outside on ur exhaust - to the OP

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
that too , if the nozzle gets to much spatter in it it can short out and cause problems with the gas flow , make sure u have enough gas flow to begin with , did u happen to weld outside on ur exhaust - to the OP
Yea if it's to windy he might need to turn up the regulator
Or use Flux core....which is a little dirty

superpsd

Reaction score
What kind of MIG? I'm going to guess you need to turn up the voltage your welding too cold and or gas needs adjustment. Correct type of gas can change things as well. Welding with a small home MIG is cake work wait till you get a hold of a 480V machine with .072 flux wire. Oh and make sure the welding tip is in good condition and there is no binding in the whip. Wire must feed smoothly.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Hard to give advice with no pictures. Mig usually requires good surface prep relative to stick welding, so you need to make sure that you get all of the crap off of the surface. If it is aluminium coated exhaust then you will probably need to remove the coating where you are welding. Flux core is more forgiving on dirty surfaces and in windy situations but is harder to get nice welds on thinner material. Its also hard to see the puddle sometimes because of all the smoke that is produced. Probably need to turn the voltage up and get sufficient gas flow like the above gentlemen said and it should sound like cooking bacon when you have it right. Mig is the easiest to learn but can still be tricky on the thin stuff. Its all in the sound, surface prep and correct amount/type of shielding gas.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Yea if it's to windy he might need to turn up the regulator
Or use Flux core....which is a little dirty

If it's windy you can always prop up some cardboard , plywood, or even have someone hold a sheet/towel to cut down on the wind and save your shielding gas. Not as good as moving inside if you have that option, but it's worked in a pinch.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
It's a brand new miller 220v I think. I just couldn't get it to stay running a beed. Not sure what gas it was.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score

Yes I was outside. But it wasn't that windy.

nickg9785

Reaction score
if you open the hatch where the wire is they generally give you what setting to put the machice on. and if your welding overhead kick the wire speed up a little than normal and keep the gas flowing in the direction you are welding. thats the best way ive figured out when welding exhaust overhead.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Also, make sure the polarity is set correctly if you are using shielding gas vs flux core. I think flux (FCAW) is DC- and Gas (GMAW) is DC+.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers. I am prolly going to brazen my next project. I am a lot better at it.lol

Latest posts

Members online