Custom fab tools

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Well I'm needing some incite on getting tools to do some fab work in my garage. I already do some but want to expand to bigger and better projects. I'm just doin it on the side for some extra cash a month. Iv already got a mig welder, stick welder, plasma cutter, torches, big air compressor, air tools, hand tools, I think there is a small metal break, and a tubing bender somewhere. I know I want a TIG welder for sure but what else would you guys recommend for tools? Hand tools as well guys. Thanks a bunch!!

Sent from my Pear phone 5 using Tapatalk

89 Stroker

Reaction score
chop saw, saw zall, grinder, Drill and if your working with tubing a tube notcher and just your general mechanics tools, usually if its some odd tool that is needed usually just go and buy it, having a sand blaster and solvent tank helps a lot with cleaning parts

Isobaric

Reaction score
Use the tools you already have to build yourself a large fabrication table. Something that can be leveled on four-corners, with jig fixturing incorporated. Paint the top black so you can use soapstone to triangulate as you are fabricating.

Is space an issue? Do you have 220v 3-phase?
Old Bridgeport and Kent knee-mills can be had cheap, and more often than not include some tooling.

If you have a bender already, might as well add a notcher as well.

Sand-blast cabinet and large parts washer are next on the list.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I forgot to add we have a chop saw, drill press, parts cleaner, and sawzall. So sounds like a tubing notcher is on the list for needing along with a table and sand blaster. The shop I'm in is 40'x100'. What's an old Bridgeport run?

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I forgot to add we have a chop saw, drill press, parts cleaner, and sawzall. So sounds like a tubing notcher is on the list for needing along with a table and sand blaster. The shop I'm in is 40'x100'. What's an old Bridgeport run?

tubing notcher works wonders! i am sure you have a Vice somewhere in the shop so that's another tool

nah308

Reaction score
Use the tools you already have to build yourself a large fabrication table. Something that can be leveled on four-corners, with jig fixturing incorporated. Paint the top black so you can use soapstone to triangulate as you are fabricating.

At the risk of directly disagreeing with someone, I would not paint my fabrication table ever. In fact I do not even use it to paint parts, reason being if you have a steel fab table and it is unpainted, you can leave your ground clamp on your table and then whatever you are welding on the table will be grounded already. This works out really well especially if you are trying to weld a piece of pipe or two small plates together that are hard to put a ground clamp on. simply clamp your parts to your table. Just make sure you do not sit your mig gun or stinger down on the table (since table is your ground)

RBernardi

Reaction score
It's nice to have a metal cutting cold saw. They cold be had at Lowes or Home Depot for under $300. A lot of times I prefer the cold saw over a grinder or chop saw.

Isobaric

Reaction score
At the risk of directly disagreeing with someone, I would not paint my fabrication table ever. In fact I do not even use it to paint parts, reason being if you have a steel fab table and it is unpainted, you can leave your ground clamp on your table and then whatever you are welding on the table will be grounded already. This works out really well especially if you are trying to weld a piece of pipe or two small plates together that are hard to put a ground clamp on. simply clamp your parts to your table. Just make sure you do not sit your mig gun or stinger down on the table (since table is your ground)

I suppose it depends on what you are fabricating.
I used to build a lot of tube chassis stuff and having a painted table top was a time saver while making sure everything in a certain plain was triangulated properly.
Once I had my fixture points determined, I would grind the paint off in those regions and weld jigging right to the table. At the end of a project, just knock the fixturing off the table with a hammer, cleanup any remaining weld and it was ready for a fresh coat of paint.
For large projects it is not necessary to table ground. That is an advantage if you are working on smaller projects though.

ja_cain

Reaction score
It's nice to have a metal cutting cold saw. They cold be had at Lowes or Home Depot for under $300. A lot of times I prefer the cold saw over a grinder or chop saw.

I need to get one of these too. The portaband works for now but on long pieces of stock/tubing the cold cut saw would be easier/nice. A miter saw with a good non-ferrous metal cutting blade is good for aluminum stuff too. If also got a blade for my Festool tracksaw that works good on aluminum plate.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Jancy slugger is also nice to have. This one drills holes like butta.

4c09eacbd2d3f62c4e630236e43915e3.jpg

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Milwaukee is releasing a m18 Fuel cordless mag drill! I hear Metabo already has had one but idk. Not for drill g everyday but would be sweet when drilling a few holes remotely.

Mag drills are deffently sweet to have for fabricating.

3 phase Bridgeport mills can be had from 1000 to 2000, some cheaper if you keep your eye open. Sone with digital XYZ read outs. Reason they are soo cheap is no one wants to move them, and you will need a phase converter to run one. Best kind to use is a 240v motor that spins a 3 phase generator

little luke

Reaction score
Milwaukee is releasing a m18 Fuel cordless mag drill! I hear Metabo already has had one but idk. Not for drill g everyday but would be sweet when drilling a few holes remotely.

Mag drills are deffently sweet to have for fabricating.

3 phase Bridgeport mills can be had from 1000 to 2000, some cheaper if you keep your eye open. Sone with digital XYZ read outs. Reason they are soo cheap is no one wants to move them, and you will need a phase converter to run one. Best kind to use is a 240v motor that spins a 3 phase generator

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a mill. No clue they are that cheap. I have 3ph at my house so no issue there.

Isobaric

Reaction score
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a mill. No clue they are that cheap. I have 3ph at my house so no issue there.

If you have the means to move it, there are deals to be had.
I paid $2200 for a Bridgeport knee-mill with digital readout, fixed vice, rotary vice, and close to $1000 worth of new tooling. Well used but not abused.
Bought it in an estate liquidation.

Latest posts

Members online