exceptionally thick oil what do I do?

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
Since October my truck has sat in my driveway not running. I have had to change the turbos and the timing cover. And for added security I deleted the egr valve and coolers to prevent my issues from happening again. I have finally got all my parts in and installed and this morning I am changing the oil filling the coolant and buttoning up a few small odds and ends so that when I get my tuner I can just upload the tunes and go for a long drive. When I started draining the oil a big clump came out followed by a slow steady stream of really thick oil. The same thing going on at the filter. How do I clean out all of the old oil out of my engine. It is too low at this point to safely run the engine to operating temperature to thin the oil.

Attachments

• 20150125_105512.jpg
    20150125_105512.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 155

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
It's the oil that was in when I bought the truck in September. It's had water mix in with it from what I hope was just the front cover cavitation problem. I'm guessing that is what caused the thick oil. My truck was not taken care of before I bought it

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
Just now. Bought from a dealer that was going to wholesale it and didn't do anything to it. It was my mistake for not changing it sooner but the oil wasn't thick like that when I bought it

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Fill it up with cheap oil then take it for a good drive and change it again. Might need to do that more than once.

78f100

Reaction score
The thick oil is from the coolant mixing. Like already said just change it run if for a while and change it again. I have seen several do this, it need to be changed asap though.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Run thin oil, ATF is not needed. ATF in oil was an old school trick before all the good oil with detergents and such came out.
I would run a 0/40, 5/30, etc or something and go out for a drive.
Drain oil while it is hot. Repeat till you pull the filter out clean.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I would pull your turbo feed and clean it before you run this motor...

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Put some diesel in the oil to clean it. If you've ever taken apart a engine that had a internal diesel leak you would see how well it cleans!

Demon

Reaction score
No doubt. That's a slippery slope. I would personally not add diesel to the sump for cleaning. Though caterpillar allows something in the neighbourhood of 8% fuel dilution. Before calling it down. I wouldn't dance that dance though.

Cheap oil. Multiple hot drains. See where you are at.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea, ain't that the truth.. And we can see where that gets them...

-1 for bad advice yet again

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I've heard a good way to clean an engine would be to drain the oil, then fill the crankcase up with diesel. Let it sit overnight, drain, and then fill with cheap oil and run for 50-100 miles. Change filter and replace with good oil and you should be set.

Obviously, do not run it with just diesel in crank case.

But this was read on some random forum, so take with a large grain of salt. I second cleaning out the oil feed line as well, I lost a turbo from a chunk of sludge going through it.

Latest posts

Members online