4D Tech, Inc. CANopener installed

MorganM

Reaction score
I’ve been in touch with the guys at 4D Tech awaiting release of the CANopener for a while, and now that I’ve had it installed for several weeks- I’m happy to report it was worth the wait. My truck is a 2012 with Navigation.

What is it?
A plug-n-play interface that installs between the OEM radio and OEM radio harness to unlock features within the radio, some of these features allow you to;
-change the behavior of the Telephone button so that it will END a call, AND not auto redial the last number,
-add multiple cameras (front bumper, trailer, etc.),
-select from different color “themes”(red, black, green) available from a Lincoln based user interface,
-choose alternative OEM splash screens (the image seen when the unit boots up). Options include a standard Ford logo, a Shelby GT500 logo, Raptor logo, etc,
-DVD video playback while driving,
-address entry while in motion,
-flatten the EQ for adding an aftermarket amplifier.​
I’ve listed only a few of the new features, particularly the ones I find most appealing. Feel free to visit their website for more details- CLICK HERE.

Installation
1. Remove the OEM Radio and insert the CANopener harness and CANopener unit behind the OEM radio,
2. Re-install your OEM radio, and refer to the CANopener instructions to set up and use the new features. The setup menu is pretty simple with YES/NO options.​
*NOTE: I’d recommend running a USB extension from the CANopener to your glove box to make firmware updates more convenient.

Feedback
Aside from a different splash screen and background color, you wouldn’t know that anything has changed unless you place a call or attempt to watch a DVD while driving. The audio isn’t changed nor is any other behavior, which for me, is a sign that it’s working well.

I’ve found one little glitch, but as soon as I reported it, a firmware fix was delivered within 2 days(I just transferred the emailed file to a USB drive, inserted into the CANopener, and followed a few steps to enact the fix- REAL easy). BTW, the 4D Tech owners are actually superduty enthusiasts and both drive Ford trucks. They specialize in Ford products and offer nav retrofit kits, sub retro fit kits, replacement screens for the head unit, etc.

There is a similar device on the market available for other manufacturers’ radios, but I believe the CANopener offers more features; and for my mind, is deliberately more intuitive. Check 4D Tech’s website for compatibility- my truck is a 12, but I don’t think this works with SYNC (2013+) head units.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 112
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 99
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 107

BIGDZL

Reaction score
Would you happen to know if there is a version of this system for 2015 NAV?

GaMike

Reaction score
I sent them an email and they said that canopener wont work for 2015 and use the lockpick. :(

Latest posts

Members online