Some stock style "66" turbo testing I did...long

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Billy,

Thank you. That's a great looking setup. I can't wait to hear how it does towing.

Rusty

Hope you are as satisfied as I am with it towing

Just an UPDATE:

Just towed my enclosed GN trailer, made a 360 mile round trip. Towed amazing, even the gf noticed. Towed from northern NJ to Cecil County Dragway (North East/Rising Sun, MD). Went down I-287 to I-95. My GVW is almost 21k.

Set the cruise at 70 mph which puts me around 1850 rpm. Truck did not down shift once. The only time I manually dropped out of OD into 3rd was when I was going over the Delaware Memorial Bridge as I did not want to go over it doing 70.

When the cruise was set and a hill was encountered, the boost went up to 20-25. The EGTs never went over 1200 on long pulls. Halfway up the hill, the boost scaled back as the truck was accelerating past the set speed and the motor kept pulling. I was using DynoProven's Heavy Tow tune. I averaged 10 MPG pulling.

This turbo is light years ahead of the stock turbo and "66" style turbos. With the stock based turbos I ran previously, I would have to manually drop out of OD to pull even the slightest hill due to high EGTs. If I kept in OD, boost would only get up to 10psi and it would be smokey; the side of the trailer would be covered in soot. I used the same Heavy Tow tune.

The gf was riding shotgun, she asked what that "whistle" was as we were going down the NJ Turnpike. I replied that is the turbo. She stated that it's a cool sound. When we arrived at the hotel, she stated it seemed that the truck pulled the trailer effortlessly compared to other times.

Build up in the sig.

Billy T.
[email protected]

rusty1161

Reaction score
Sold my D66, other parts are for sale, and running a stock turbo for now.

The 366 came today. The T4 kit arrives tomorrow.

Thanks, Billy........

Rusty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
My truck already has a 3 in. downpipe on it. Would this make installing the downpipe on Irates T4 kit easier, or would it still requiring a lot of firewall massaging?

A T4 downpipe is different than a stock replacement downpipe. Look on page 8 of this thread for my pics of the downpipe install.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Lookin good rusty!!
Havein fun with that prickin down pipe I bet. Lol

Krause

Reaction score
Rusty,
I suspect you are just getting it mocked in, but I would be careful with that center section on the 366 being tilted the way it is. That oil drain needs to be pretty much pointed straight down. I actually called James Barder about this because I had the inclination to tilt it back and 'point' the oil drain more towards the fuel pump drain hole. He said Borg Warner dosnt want more than about 12* off vertical, so you dont have too much lenience. Looks sweet thought!!

rusty1161

Reaction score
Rusty,
I suspect you are just getting it mocked in, but I would be careful with that center section on the 366 being tilted the way it is. That oil drain needs to be pretty much pointed straight down. I actually called James Barder about this because I had the inclination to tilt it back and 'point' the oil drain more towards the fuel pump drain hole. He said Borg Warner dosnt want more than about 12* off vertical, so you dont have too much lenience. Looks sweet thought!!

Great info, thank you! I have the Irate kit and the drain is made of solid tube and lines up with some angled fittings. I will be sure to check that good.

Rusty

Krause

Reaction score
Great info, thank you! I have the Irate kit and the drain is made of solid tube and lines up with some angled fittings. I will be sure to check that good.

Rusty

Ah, well with irates solid line you probly dont get much choice then! Im sure it'll be where its supposed to be once the line is hooked up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.