exceptionally thick oil what do I do?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Put some diesel in the oil to clean it. If you've ever taken apart a engine that had a internal diesel leak you would see how well it cleans!

Yes and also how well it washes bearings....... :poke:
Sorry, I realize that was way too vague. Add like a half a gallon of diesel to the oil and run it for like 20 minutes. It will clean it out awesome and it wont hurt a thing.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Why? You know how many Lb7 duramaxes are out there 100,000+ miles past a crankcase full of fuel?? Thousands! I've seen ones that were ran so full of diesel it ran out the rear main seal and the pan was pulled to check the bearings and they looked like new!

psduser1

Reaction score
If, you've had antifreeze across the bearings for any significant length of time, diesel washing may be the least of your problems.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Why? You know how many Lb7 duramaxes are out there 100,000+ miles past a crankcase full of fuel?? Thousands! I've seen ones that were ran so full of diesel it ran out the rear main seal and the pan was pulled to check the bearings and they looked like new!

That's fine, but this is not duramax world. 6.4 in general has oiling problems thanks to dilution. Any harsh cleaners as is may free up some gunk and clog oiling gallies and cause more issues.

What's needed here is several low mileage oil changes. You don't want to break all this stuff loose in one felt swoop.

Please refrain from trying to crossover different breeds.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
That's fine, but this is not duramax world. 6.4 in general has oiling problems thanks to dilution. Any harsh cleaners as is may free up some gunk and clog oiling gallies and cause more issues.

What's needed here is several low mileage oil changes. You don't want to break all this stuff loose in one felt swoop.

Please refrain from trying to crossover different breeds.
That is a very valid point! I agree with you on not wanting to break it all loose at once, OP disregard my advice.... That aside duramaxes and 6.4s have a lot in common other than duramaxes can make it to 200,000 miles on a factory engine. LOL

swinky

Reaction score
That is a very valid point! I agree with you on not wanting to break it all loose at once, OP disregard my advice.... That aside duramaxes and 6.4s have a lot in common other than duramaxes can make it to 200,000 miles on a factory engine. LOL
Want to talk front ends? How bout cab space? Leather quality? Transmissions? Electrical issues?...... Didn't think so :eek:

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Want to talk front ends? How bout cab space? Leather quality? Transmissions? Electrical issues?...... Didn't think so :eek:
Front ends? I cant complain about mine. 180,000 miles on original wheel bearings and lower ball joints and only replaced 1 tie rod. Cab space y'all win that one hands down! Leather quality sucks I agree. And I have no clue what you are talking about on electrical issues!

swinky

Reaction score
Front ends? I cant complain about mine. 180,000 miles on original wheel bearings and lower ball joints and only replaced 1 tie rod. Cab space y'all win that one hands down! Leather quality sucks I agree. And I have no clue what you are talking about on electrical issues!
I thought y'all had a lot of Speedo issues. I have a 6.0 so I'll just stfu lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Duramax is like Cummins. Very good design that's proven itself over the years, but what it's wrapped around is total garbage. The only reason I'd ever own a Duramax is for the woman, since it's quiet, she wouldn't need to tow, would never use 4x4, and has the music so loud she wouldn't be able to hear the creaks and cracks from all the interior.

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input this was way more than I expected and some of the Duramax v. Powerstroke stuff definitely brightened my day. It's so depressing to have the truck you dreamed of since you were 5 years old (I'm now 32) and be able to drive it for a month before it breaks and sits in the driveway for months on end waiting for money for parts. I've gotten all the parts and have the truck back together and not be able to drive it because you forgot to buy a tuner to get it to run right. I'll eventually get this thing right and get to drive it again.

08strokin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input this was way more than I expected and some of the Duramax v. Powerstroke stuff definitely brightened my day. It's so depressing to have the truck you dreamed of since you were 5 years old (I'm now 32) and be able to drive it for a month before it breaks and sits in the driveway for months on end waiting for money for parts. I've gotten all the parts and have the truck back together and not be able to drive it because you forgot to buy a tuner to get it to run right. I'll eventually get this thing right and get to drive it again.

I hear ya man mine has been down over a year now, I've almost got it back together now

78f100

Reaction score
It will be worth it when you get it tuned and all squared away. 6.4s are amazing power wise and tough, they have some issues but everything does. Where else are you gonna get 600hp with a tuner and exhaust? I have several customers with 200k plus miles without any issues so its hit and miss. Front covers and bad injectors cause most of the issues I see.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
It will be worth it when you get it tuned and all squared away. 6.4s are amazing power wise and tough, they have some issues but everything does. Where else are you gonna get 600hp with a tuner and exhaust? I have several customers with 200k plus miles without any issues so its hit and miss. Front covers and bad injectors cause most of the issues I see.
What is done to the trucks and what are they used for on the ones that made it to 200k? I have seriously never met anyone with a 6.4 that made it past 150k on the original motor....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
IMO they would of had to have had been deleted well before 100k.

100k is basically a tune up with rockers in a stock truck.

Any 6.4 with over 150k is either on its second motor, 3rd fuel system, or 2nd set of turbos

jspaulding37918

Reaction score

That poor truck is bleeding all over the place and no one is doing anything to help it! Makes me sad! LOL!

On a serious note... that is almost exactly what my truck did when the turbos went. If that one has the dpf and cat still on it and you break the seal between them you will see the same thing there. But I'm sure you already knew that

Members online

No members online now.