AC recharge in a can?

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but my AC is not performing well in this Texas heat. I haven't had it checked, but was wondering if we can use the recharge cans from Autozone/O'reilly?

Also, the secondary radiator I put in last November to fix the leaky one is now leaking itself. Hoo-f***ing-ray!

joebuck

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but my AC is not performing well in this Texas heat. I haven't had it checked, but was wondering if we can use the recharge cans from Autozone/O'reilly?

Also, the secondary radiator I put in last November to fix the leaky one is now leaking itself. Hoo-f***ing-ray!

What brand replacement secondary did you put in?

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I recently used the A/C recharge cans from Walmart (same thing as parts store just a little cheaper) and had no problems you could have a leak in your A/C system so just in case get the can with the uv dye so you can find the leak. It also could be the heat because all A/C systems have temperatures range of where they work best in. As far as your radiator theres no fix except getting yours repaired or getting another one.

RyanD

Reaction score
What brand replacement secondary did you put in?

OEM. So bummed right now, I don't want to go to Mishimoto (cost plus mixed reviews) but the idea of doing another OEM one burns my butt even more.

RyanD

Reaction score
I recently used the A/C recharge cans from Walmart (same thing as parts store just a little cheaper) and had no problems you could have a leak in your A/C system so just in case get the can with the uv dye so you can find the leak. It also could be the heat because all A/C systems have temperatures range of where they work best in. As far as your radiator theres no fix except getting yours repaired or getting another one.

Agreed on the heat range - it's been well over 100 here the last few days, so that may be part of the issue. I've just been hemorrhaging cash on other responsibilities so I will probably limp along with filling the radiator 2x/week until my kid's school bill and my quarterly IRS payment is a little further behind me. Thank you!

79jasper

Reaction score
What many of you don't get, is you cant just go dumping in refrigerant.
If it's low (which you need gauges for) then you have a leak. No question about it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RyanD

Reaction score
If it's low (which you need gauges for) then you have a leak. No question about it.

Ugh, I know. I need to just buck up and take it to the shop. It runs cool with good airflow, just not as cold as it used to. Sounds like a leak to me.

wildbill963258

Reaction score

That's why I also said it could just be the temperature not just a leak. I know that if you overfill it's just like not having refrigerant in your A/C. A/C was one of many things I was trained on when I was in the Navy LOL

79jasper

Reaction score
Ugh, I know. I need to just buck up and take it to the shop. It runs cool with good airflow, just not as cold as it used to. Sounds like a leak to me.
It is possible.
Try spraying out the condenser first.

RyanD

Reaction score
It is possible.
Try spraying out the condenser first.

Forgive my ignorance - is spraying out the one on the truck basically the same as when I do my home unit?

79jasper

Reaction score
Basically.
Just sometimes need higher pressures, as bugs can really get wedged in there.
I forget if those trucks have them or not, but see if it has a cabin air filter.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you do decide to do the canned junk, make sure you DO NOT get one with stop leak in it. That **** ****s up ac systems and machines when you have someine actually fix it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
You can use the trigger cans just fine.
I started fixing a lot of ACs at work so I got a manifold gauge set, a vacuum pump, a thermometer, and a can tap at HF. If you're chasing AC gremlins you can use the stuff to find leaks, check pressures, and fill more accurately.

08Monster

Reaction score
That's why I also said it could just be the temperature not just a leak. I know that if you overfill it's just like not having refrigerant in your A/C. A/C was one of many things I was trained on when I was in the Navy LOL
Not exactly true. Too much refrigerant will cause the pressures to be too high, and will kick out the compressor due to the high pressure switch, and stop cooling. When pressures come back down, it will kick in again and cool till pressures get too high. It will still cool, where as no refrigerant will kick the low pressure side saying pressure is too low and will never kick in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RyanD

Reaction score
I’m starting to believe the operating temperature advice. This morning, driving my kids to school, it blew cold. Yesterday when I left it was 102 and it only blew cool.

08Monster

Reaction score
I’m starting to believe the operating temperature advice. This morning, driving my kids to school, it blew cold. Yesterday when I left it was 102 and it only blew cool.
Systems will only cool a certain amount of degrees. Be it 30 or 50, if your air coming in is 100, if it can only drop 30 degrees, it's going to blow 70. On a 80 degree day that would feel cold at 50. On a 100 degree day, I would expect vent temps in that 50-60 degree range. Running it on recirc will improve cooling because it doesn't have to cool down 100 degree air anymore, the air in the cabay only be 80.

RyanD

Reaction score
Systems will only cool a certain amount of degrees. Be it 30 or 50, if your air coming in is 100, if it can only drop 30 degrees, it's going to blow 70. On a 80 degree day that would feel cold at 50. On a 100 degree day, I would expect vent temps in that 50-60 degree range. Running it on recirc will improve cooling because it doesn't have to cool down 100 degree air anymore, the air in the cabay only be 80.

This is a great explanation, and something I’m embarrassed for. It knowing/thinking through. I never thought about running it in recirculating mode. Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

RyanD

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I iced myself out on the drive home with max/recirc!!

Latest posts

Members online