Test for fuel in coolant?

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
Well I think I may have cracked a head this past saturday at the track. It pushed some coolant. I have Cat Elc which started out as red, well I put a little bit of it onto a paper towel and it was yellow and smells kinda funky. What would be the best way to make sure this is the case?

ghohouston

Reaction score
The degas bottle will be COMPLETELY full, and smell like diesel. You can pull the injectors and pressurize the coolant system and find the crack. You'll need a good flashlight and mirror.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
Well I took the lines going to the rear of the heads off of my regulator and filled them up with fuel, then pressurized the cooling system to see if I could figure out which side is cracked. But Im not getting any bubbles. So could this mean it's an injector cup and not a cracked head?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I cant help you out on the diagnosis but i have a set of heads off a 03 I'd sell you if you end up needing a set.

Towerguy

Reaction score
I've got the same issue now myself. Degas bottle is swollen and the coolant smells strongly of fuel. Does anyone have any experience with Bulletproof's tool for repairing cracked injector bores in the truck?

pdumont01

Reaction score
Most likely a cracked head. 7.3 its always the cups, 6.0s you can bet on the head.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Towerguy

Reaction score
Most likely a cracked head. 7.3 its always the cups, 6.0s you can bet on the head.

Agreed, a cracked head is most likely the culprit. However Bulletproof markets a tool for injecting sealant into the crack in the injector bore. It's an in truck repair without having to pull the head. Pressurize the coolant system to identify the suspect cylinder and then inject sealant into the crack. Let it sit for 24 hours to cure and run another pressure test to verify it is no longer leaking pressure into the injector bore. Was just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with repairing their heads this way.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/BP...ool_Ford_6_0L_p/cylinder-head-repair-tool.htm

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd certainly be leary of that sealant. Cool if it did work, but I don't see any sealant stopping a crack from spreading, and expanding with heat. I could be wrong though.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
Well it was a crack, right above the cup. Very small but still there. I was also wondering about that tool. I've had some people say it works pretty good.

pdumont01

Reaction score
I would change the head personally, that is like putting rtv over a rotted oil pan, yeah it will stop the leak but not my style lol. Good luck if you go that route!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.