Won’t come out of park - what I found

Reaction score
So I’m out of the OBS game and don’t post much anymore because I have too much going on to hang out on forums and what not, but this may help a few people. Figured I’d share.

Guy I’ve done work for before calls me up and says his 96 250 won’t come out of park. So I told him to bring it over and I’ll take a look at it over the weekend. Obvious stuff first. Fuses good, wiring to the pedal switch is intact. Seen the multifunction switch cause many issues, so I swapped in a good one I had. Nothing. Checked power to the switch. Nothing. Checked power out of the brake light switch. Nothing. Checked power to the brake light switch, 12v. Cuss auto parts store junk. Ohm switch. .2 ohm closed. Not the switch. Checked power to the switch again, as soon as the switch closes, I lose my 12v. Well this is fun. Get my books out. Fords diagrams 25 years ago really sucked. Break out the power probe and start load testing. Power the output side of the switch and everything works. Issue between the fuse and the switch. Hard to load test from the fuse to switch with other circuits tied in. Touch the power probe to the fuse out side and it shows voltage. Hmm. Check with a meter and I’m showing a 4.7v backfeed where I should see nothing. Start pulling fuses. Pull abs fuse and the back feed goes away. Now I can shift out of park. Put the fuse back in. Backfeed comes back and it’s stuck in park again. Pull glovebox and disconnect the abs module. No more backfeed. Decided to run down the road to a buddies house and borrow his abs module. Have to plug module back in to start truck, everything is working this time. Head to his house anyway and cannot get it to act back up. Checked the connector for issues. Nothing. Cleaned it good anyway to say I did something. Turn truck back over to it’s owner. Going on 2 weeks now with not another issue. May be the connector, may be the module. But nothing is obvious, and it’s working.

After this I talked to a guy I know who has been a ford tech for 35 years, and he said he has seen this before but it was caused by corrosion in the connector at the abs module. He said if it happens again, really give that connector a good look, because it (in his opinion) is more likely the connector than the module, unless the connector gums up the module also.

Anyway, there ya go. Hopefully this will help someone. I found nothing related to what I found on the net when I was fooling with it a couple of weeks ago. Take care.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Filing that in the ol' memory bank in case of future problems (however, that may not be the best due to CRS :rolleyes: ). Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online