CB Radios

Jason

Reaction score
I like having one at about 13'6" or13'7", glider something slow andif it hits the antenna itll hit the stacks and trailer. A cb antena is more forgiving and cheaper than a set of 8" stacks or a trailer.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
I have a cobra 29ltd chrome in my truck with dual 4ft firestick II's off my headache rack. They stick up a bit but I can throw my signal quite a ways and I only use it for around town use as well when I'm convoying with someone. And I beat the hell out of all drive thrus and parking garages on 35s lol

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I run a uniden 68 with a davemade 2x8 and a 102" whip off the front bumper. Kinda dump truck style. The amp draws 180 amps when I key the mic. The setup peaks out at around 2800 watts. It definitely cuts lips lol.

Break break break

DIE5EL

Reaction score
I have a Cobra 29 ltd Nightwatch/soundtracker.. Good radio. Also had a multi-colored L.E.D in. The light turns like 8 different colors in a pattern. I had it ran through 4 foot firestick I believe it was. I love this radio, just need to install it . I lost the power supply cable it it.

sprayjock

Reaction score
:doh: Damn guys, I have been outa the radio scene since I quit driving otr.......... :fustrate: Thanks to this thread I'm gonna have to dig my radio out and put it in my superduty............ Something else to spend money on :fustrate:

I hope the old cobra 148 gtl and texas star 250 still work.....they been in a box for nearly 10 years. :lookaround:

CamTom12

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about that scanner and how useful it is while travelling, in bad weather.

Also, how good are the high power export radios ? Anything good or bad to say about a Magnum 257HP ?

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Radi...Echo Talkback/Magnum 257 HP Echo Talkback.htm

Hey, just caught your question! I have a 257HP. I love it. It's a strong radio with good reception. Talks and listens pretty far. I've got mine on a 3' fire stick as well.

Here's my install thread: http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83307

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Fiberglass antenna=junk.
Export radios= junk

Fiberglass antennas don't take much power and they will break without you even knowing giving you bad swr which can damage your radio.

And you guys with co-phase antennas or twin antennas your splitting your power you would do much better with a single Wilson antenna. It is a pain in the ass trying to adjust two antennas for swr. If you want the look of twins make one a dummy antenna.

Export radios have alot of frequency drift which is multiplied when someone tunes them that doesn't know what their doing. Sure it showed 75watts on the meter too bad only 35 of them are actually on the channel your talking on the other 40watts are just bleeding over on all the other channels. Not too many shops know how to do a clean tune on an export

You wanna talk get a uniden/ cobra with a minor tune DO NOT CHANGE THE FINALS. Get a Wilson antenna,good coax, and an amp that suits your power desires. Davemade makes some sweet amps so does fatboy.

Break break break

Jason

Reaction score
Running a Galaxy 94hp. Clean crisp clear and loud. 73's everywhere I go, running a Browning antenna, forget the model, but it's metal and rated at like 20,000 watts lol. That's not why I bought it, I hate coil antennas actually, but it works great. I can put you in the red at at 10 miles, put 9lbs on you at 14 miles. Good coax, good antenna, and a good radio. Catch skip up in Albany New York, and Oregon, and loud and clear on bases ~40 miles away.

The above claims are with mike gain at 3 o'clock and variable power at 2 o'clock. Swings 120 watts on low power, I got a radio that's a little "happier" than it should be. And no hackjob mod pot twists either, converted, and aligned and that's all.

Last edited:

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Running a Galaxy 94hp. Clean crisp clear and loud. 73's everywhere I go, running a Browning antenna, forget the model, but it's metal and rated at like 20,000 watts lol. That's not why I bought it, I hate coil antennas actually, but it works great. I can put you in the red at at 10 miles, put 9lbs on you at 14 miles. Good coax, good antenna, and a good radio. Catch skip up in Albany New York, and Oregon, and loud and clear on bases ~40 miles away.

The above claims are with mike gain at 3 o'clock and variable power at 2 o'clock. Swings 120 watts on low power, I got a radio that's a little "happier" than it should be. And no hackjob mod pot twists either, converted, and aligned and that's all.

Why not run the variable wide open it only adjusts the dead key? Really the only time you need to adjust the variable is when running an amp. I normally adjust mine so my deadkey is a quarter off what my peak is I deadkey around 700 watts swing 2800 watts gonna be more when I volt the system I'm gonna get the dual alternator system and run one alt isolated to 3 16volt batteries with an external regulator on the alt. Gonna be a sweet little competition keydown rig.

Break break break

Jason

Reaction score
Deadkey of 65 watts on high power. It'll swing around 150 watts cranked up. I'd like to throw a little 250 watt kicker at it, just for fun. I don't sleep in the truck so I miss out on keydowns. I can get out over Dallas and Austin chatter no prob., the kicker would be for late night Houston trips lol.

I try to keep my deadkey around 35-40 watts, and swing around 80-90 just cruising and giving bear reports etc. I get cookin down the road I'll crank it up, make sure I'm heard when calling out. Also, another thing I noticed is mine drifts VERY MINIMAL when cold. And it's gotta be damn near single digits, and it'll go 27.184, or .186. Let it get some heat in it and it stays .185 all day/everyday. Got tired of jacking with clarifier and leave it alone.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
A Texas star 350 high drive would be a good amp for your setup. Either that or a straight 4 pill amp with 2879 pills in it. Any thing smaller and your radio would most likely overdrive the amp.

Break break break

Latest posts

Members online