cb radio

johndeerezach

Reaction score
i purchased a 29 lx cobra led cb and was wondering if i cud see the pics of how some people have them mounted. it comes with a bracket and screws but idk if i want to screw them in to my dash.

Sniper32

Reaction score
heres mine...
DSC03111.jpg

DSC03112.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

I know its far from perfect, but it was the first time making something with fiberglass.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Currently mine is velcroed to the dash but I want to mount it to the ceiling in between the visors. Then I want to run a second alternator to a bank of two isolated 16 volt batteries to run my davemade 2x8 amp. Hopefully the RF from the 3k watts I'll be pushin won't fry my ecm lol.

-Jake-

Sniper32

Reaction score
Thanks man...yeah, made a frame out of cardboard and modeling clay, then fiberglassed over it. Like i said it isnt perfect, but it was the first time i messed with fiberglass. Ive found out a couple of tricks, so when I have the time I may redo it to make it a little better.

GreenF350

Reaction score
I have mine mounted in the same place as Sniper does only mine has the bracket screwed into the plastic cover. Mine is a Galaxy 959. Works great as long as I don't hit too big of a bump with a can of Coke in the cup holder and it splashes on the cb. If I had to do it all over again I would keep it in the same location...It just seems to work for me.
-Aaron

johndeerezach

Reaction score
yea mine is just riding on the dash atm. i cant figure out i have the 29 lx and it keeps saying antenna warning on the lcd display.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
yea mine is just riding on the dash atm. i cant figure out i have the 29 lx and it keeps saying antenna warning on the lcd display.

Either bad ground on the antenna, broken coax, or bad swr. Did you have your antenna tuned? Make sure your antenna stud isn't grounding out the bottom side gets grounded the top side of the stud has a plastic washer on it.

-Jake-

Sniper32

Reaction score
Either bad ground on the antenna, broken coax, or bad swr. Did you have your antenna tuned? Make sure your antenna stud isn't grounding out the bottom side gets grounded the top side of the stud has a plastic washer on it.

-Jake-

:whs: i had issues with my antenna light coming on till i noticed my plastic washer was on the bottom, moved it up and no more light

johndeerezach

Reaction score

-Jake-

what do you mean i had the plastic washer and i took it off cuz i thought that is what the problem is.

Sniper32

Reaction score
You need the plastic washer to keep the antenna from being grounded out. It goes in between the mount and the antenna

El chupacabra

Reaction score
your mount has to have a good ground. Mirror mounts on plastic mirrors don't work unless you have a ground strap running to the mount.

-Jake-

littleredstroker

Reaction score
So I got a dumb question. I had my cb in , it worked great for about a week. It's a cobra, can't remember model its been almost two years since I took it out. . It just stopped working it has static and that is all.connections and everything were good, is there some thing that could have blown internally?

autocorrected by taptalk

GreenF350

Reaction score
So I got a dumb question. I had my cb in , it worked great for about a week. It's a cobra, can't remember model its been almost two years since I took it out. . It just stopped working it has static and that is all.connections and everything were good, is there some thing that could have blown internally?

autocorrected by taptalk

It is possible. CB's tend to be very stout units though. Most people just install them and never even check the swr on the antenna and feed line (coax) and use them. High swr in itself can fry the finals in a cb or any other two-way radio for that matter. An improper ground plane, incorrect impedance coax, running two antennas (co-phased antennas) with the standard coax, corroded connections, water, bad location, bad tuning, etc can all cause unacceptable swr readings and diminished performance and in extreme cases fried internal parts. Guess I got off on a bit of a tangent there, but the short answer is it's Hard to say without checking it all out. Most likely it is fine if it's an out of the box cb and not amplified or "tweaked". Find a buddy and plug it into your antenna OR better yet, go down to radio shack and get an swr meter...Last I looked (which was a while ago) you can get them for less than $30.
-Aaron

Latest posts

Members online