Mike Singer Alternators

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Anyone have experience w/ Mike Singer Alternators?

I figured DC was one option but I"m trying to get some other ideas. The audio forums seem to like him and he is the only one who's really taking the time to answer my emails.

My factory unit is ok but I like having a HO unit as the 7.3 seems to eat batteries so anything I can do to keep the batteries charged up will help. Plus every factory charged vehicle I'm in the headlights dim when you use the windows, turn on the AC etc..

I had a DB 250 amp unit in my 02 and I didn't have to replace anymore batteries after I upgraded and everything electrical seemed to be be happier.

He's quoting a hairpin 6 phase style 250A (275A peak/190+A idle) for "the total price on this unit shipped w/ my lifetime warranty on labor is $489"

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
That's a lot of $$$, but it's competitive to what I paid for my Mechman alternator.

I haven't dealt with Mike Singer, but I'm pretty happy with my Mechman 270a alt. I did smoke one after about 6 months, but they rebuilt it without any questions. I've never had a problem getting ahold of them and having my questions answered either. It definitely produces plenty of power for what I have too..

I've also dealt with Mean Green for my F-150. IIRC that one was 200 amps, but it still didn't produce enough power at idle to keep everything happy. I never got around to asking them about it b/c I blew the engine and parked the truck.. So I'm not sure how their service is.

Gearhead

Reaction score
If you wait a week I am working on some custom alternators that I should have at least one in my hand on Tuesday. The problem with the hairpin alternators is that most of them have like a 15.3v setpoint that will smoke batteries if they aren't AGM. The hairpin design is pretty sweet though and super efficient. The alternator I'm working on will have factory engineered parts and will do 190 amps at idle and 250 at full tilt. I will retail them for 469 and have options for premade cables to update your charging system. I am running one of the 3g hybrid alternators that everyone sells as a 185 to 250 amp online but I am on my second one and they only have about 60-70 amps at idle and that is even with a 2.1 inch pulley (pretty small). These alternators go for $250-$300 online and just don't put the power down where you need it.

Last edited:

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Sorry for the slight derail as in not posting about Mike Singer alternators.
Alternatorman.com has a youtube channel with videos. His main website is alternatorparts.com The guys name is Randy.
He explains the stock powerstroke alternator internals compared to his HD High output version. I like how he uses a copper plate heatsink compared to competitors aluminum heatsink. His bridge rectifier in remote double and triple setup is a pretty slick set up. It moves the rectifier away from heat.
He also uses a large 6g case compared to the stock small 6g case.
I have been nosing around at Nations Auto Electric, DC Power and Alternator Parts.com
comparing apples to apples.
When I called Randy at 4:40pm on a Friday he answered the phone and took time to answer my question as well as give me is input on the subject.
Mechman also looks to build nice quality units.

Matt I am curious to see what is inside your alternator compared to competitors alternators.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Mike Singer is a HUGE name in the audio world, and started his business a few years ago. His work is above and beyond quality. I will be buying a h.o. alt for my jetta and 7.3 from him, and recommend his brand to anyone

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've read the info from DC, mean green and several others to include alternatorman. Only Mike has returned my email minus two other who use a small case 6G.

One common them I was seeing on the audio forums it a small case re-worked to make more amps, tends to suffer at idle and makes more heat under load. I found plenty of "HO" amps in the $250 range but they were all small case. I had a DB on my 02 w/o any issue but I hear nothing but complaints about DB now.

The one thing about the DC is they are expensive and their 180 case is a modded factory design. The higher output, if I read correctly were large case moddified. But w/ DC I hear they do make a solid unit, and besides the 180 they are all hairpin stators.

FWIW, I found only 1 gripe about Singer and it was a claim they couldn't get it to produce amps on their car. The OP claimed he could never get the Singer to work but praised Singer for his CS. Every single thread I could find about Singer talks about the quality and customer service. That coupled w/ him answering all my emails I was leaning that way. And I should mention I also found out half of the emails he answered he did so on vacation.

Matt, thanks for the info your unit. I am curious, like many others here to find out more.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Sorry for the slight derail as in not posting about Mike Singer alternators.
Alternatorman.com has a youtube channel with videos. His main website is alternatorparts.com The guys name is Randy.
He explains the stock powerstroke alternator internals compared to his HD High output version. I like how he uses a copper plate heatsink compared to competitors aluminum heatsink. His bridge rectifier in remote double and triple setup is a pretty slick set up. It moves the rectifier away from heat.
He also uses a large 6g case compared to the stock small 6g case.
I have been nosing around at Nations Auto Electric, DC Power and Alternator Parts.com
comparing apples to apples.
When I called Randy at 4:40pm on a Friday he answered the phone and took time to answer my question as well as give me is input on the subject.
Mechman also looks to build nice quality units.

Matt I am curious to see what is inside your alternator compared to competitors alternators.

Alternatorparts is where my first one is from and the idle output is less than desirable.

04cr450

Reaction score
i have a dc 185 amp along with all my wires upgraded to 1awg wire and am very pleased with it... running 14.3-14.0 idling or running down the highway with all accessories on etc etc... just a review on the dc.

Gearhead

Reaction score
useha9y6.jpg
y6ehutyb.jpg
here is the new alt side by side with the "LARGE CASE" 250 amp upgrade alt. You can see how much more beef there is.

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Alternatorparts is where my first one is from and the idle output is less than desirable.

Was it a custom build or the cheap China knock off stock replacement?
I am on my second cheap China knock off stock replacement and am not going that route anymore.
Looking for more input on HD HO alternators.

imelmo

Reaction score
Sweet, Matt. My DB just went out this weekend so I was wanting to try something else.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
i have a dc 185 amp along with all my wires upgraded to 1awg wire and am very pleased with it... running 14.3-14.0 idling or running down the highway with all accessories on etc etc... just a review on the dc.

Good to know. My factory unit works but my last 7.3 ate batteries and alternators so I figured I'd get a bigger one before this one dies and takes the batteries w/ it. Thanks.

useha9y6.jpg
y6ehutyb.jpg
here is the new alt side by side with the "LARGE CASE" 250 amp upgrade alt. You can see how much more beef there is.

Yeah thats a lot larger. It is a external rectifier mounted on the exterior like the DC units? They claim it helps w/ heat management.

Any specs to share?

Is this of your design parameters/wish list?

ETA to market?

Gearhead

Reaction score
It is a Leece Neville in a custom case. All the diodes and regulator are on the back.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
You think there is any interest in a group buy? If i can get 5 people lined up I can get you guys a better price. Also is there any interest in brand new gear reduction starters straight off the boat from Japan (bad ass starters)?

Latest posts

Members online