10 6.4 has a slight miss in OD

zx63604

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but I'm at a dead end here and just telling anyone who might could help me all the details. This truck is fully ******d also.
I recently replaced my hpfp, injectors with reman ones from Pensacola Diesel, all engine fuel lines, flushed heads, flushed fuel rails, flushed engine fuel filter housing, flushed tank, flushed tank to engine lines, replaced the hfcm with an air dog 2 165, new oil cooler and front engine cover it had cavitation signs. This was all due to the hpfp starting to metal in the system and started getting the dreaded p0088 code. Upon installing the new injectors I had 2,4,6,8 injectors in and valve cover back on and had just started on 7,5,3,1. Well I put 7 injector in and started on 5 and saw a black cap on the injector tip and was second guessing myself so I pull 7 back out and couldn't find the black cap so I put a new combustion washer on and reinstalled it. Well 5,3,1 had caps on the nozzle so I removed and installed them. Got the air bleed out and it finally started after about 5 min of trying and re bleeding. It ran good up till it got hot and I could tell something wasn't right so I shut it down and pulled 2,4,6,8 injectors and found the melted caps on the nozzle shaft. Took the injectors apart cleaned them all up, check spray patterns with brake cleaner and all looked good, cleaned the injector cup and put them back together with new orings, combustion seal, and installed new fuel lines. I removed 7 injector just to make sure and sure enough it was the same melted cap cleaned it, checked spray pattern, cleaned injector cup and reinstalled all with new lines, orings, and combustion seal. Bleed air, and it starts relatively easy. It gets up to temp and starts missing. Run my Auto Enginuity scan tool and get a cylinder 4 injector code. I run a KOEO injector test and get the same code. I figured either I messed up the injector with the plastic cap or it could've just been a bad one, so I went to a local parts store and just got another reman one. Put the injector in with new fuel line, combustion seal and oring, cleaned injector cup and put it back together again and bleed air out. This time it pretty much starts in 2 seconds. It get up to temp and everything is good so I drive it and it runs perfectly up until it shifts into OD. It has what I call a slight miss in the 1500 to 1900 rpm rang. I've reset the fuel trims in the pcm, checked the hpfp pressure to desired and it is within spec. I've ran a cylinder balance and relative compression test and everything is perfect. I ran it on my AE scan tool and on a IDS scan tool. I ran a the cylinder balance test with the hpfp turned up to 16000 psi and still can't find anything but when I look at the short term fuel trims, this is up to temp. Now remember cylinders 1,3,5 were installed without the cap on the nozzles from the start. Cylinder 1 is at -6 Cylinder 2 is at 0 Cylinder 3 is at 0 Cylinder 4 is at 11 (This is the injector I had trouble with and still shows way out.) Cylinder 5 is at -5 Cylinder 6 is at 6 Cylinder 7 is at -8 Cylinder 8 is at 3. They are all over the place. This truck was running perfectly up until I got the P0088 code and replaced everything the next week. Now I am sitting here scratching my head. Also there is no white or black smoke at idle or crusing speed even when in OD and it seems to be missing.

Harley-6.4

Reaction score
I’m curious as to what tunes you are running. On my old 6.4 I had spar+an and all the tunes 210 and below would throw the p0088 code. I put the truck back to 275, 310, or 350 and truck ran like a scolded dog, I never had to replace the hpfp. So maybe try retuning and see what happens.

zx63604

Reaction score
I am running Patriot tunes and have tried multiple levels even 7.10 up.to 11 and the miss is still there after I had replaced everything to see if that was an issue. I had to replace the hpfp and injectors with all the lines due to metal contamination from the hpfp.

Harley-6.4

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this would help, but have you tried doing a cylinder balance. If you go to Ford-Specific and click other for Diagnostics there is the option for a balance. This may work it may not

zx63604

Reaction score
Yes I have done a relative compression test and a cylinder/ power balance test on Ids and can't find anything out of the ordinary. The only this that is wacky are the Short term fuel trims are all over the place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online