Mock up turbo models

Reaction score
I'm sure several of you have seen the long block engines that were made of plastic that had the engine mount bolt bungs in place but the weighed a fraction of the real thing to help with mocking up an engine before you put the real deal in place. Why doesn't anyone make something along the same lines with turbos? I'd like to start fabbing my charger setup, I'm just not crazy about buying an $1800 turbo to leave it sit while I get everything fab'd and welded up.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm sure several of you have seen the long block engines that were made of plastic that had the engine mount bolt bungs in place but the weighed a fraction of the real thing to help with mocking up an engine before you put the real deal in place. Why doesn't anyone make something along the same lines with turbos? I'd like to start fabbing my charger setup, I'm just not crazy about buying an $1800 turbo to leave it sit while I get everything fab'd and welded up.

Find someone with a 3d printer and have them draw it up in Solidworks and then print it. We have a large format one at work and the intern has one that probably has enough work envelope to print a turbo. Which one (turbo) are you thinking about?

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
You can import image files as a sketch in Solidworks. Then you could use the Autotrace feature (if available) or manually trace it. Then it could be printed.

4b31081adf6996b0fad6daf7f17b0551.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Terrific idea Cain. Now, I have not had any exposure at all to the 3d printing world. Is the piece it produces sturdy enough to handle being fastened lightly into position?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Terrific idea Cain. Now, I have not had any exposure at all to the 3d printing world. Is the piece it produces sturdy enough to handle being fastened lightly into position?

Absolutely. The parts can even be annealed for increased strength.

Reaction score
Wow. I shouldn't be surprised at how out of touch I am with modern technologies though. I've found a local business that does 3d printing. I think they advertised 50/hr for composing the sketch, and $10/hr for actual printing. If you have had exposure to this for sometime Cain, would you have a ball park idea of what to expect for a reasonable quote for print time of something this size?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Wow. I shouldn't be surprised at how out of touch I am with modern technologies though. I've found a local business that does 3d printing. I think they advertised 50/hr for composing the sketch, and $10/hr for actual printing. If you have had exposure to this for sometime Cain, would you have a ball park idea of what to expect for a reasonable quote for print time of something this size?
Not sure on that one. It all depends on the deposition rate of the machine for a given resolution. This will dictate the print time. As resolution goes up print time goes down. You shouldn't need much resolution for what you are trying to achieve. Plus, a little post processing might be envolved like removing supports. If multiple people where interested in something like this I would pitch it to my intern. He can do the solidworks stuff and print it for you. He does have a full load of classes this semester though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Ive got a printer this should fit on it. I can do one for you. Jacain what is the native file for that turbo 2d wireframe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Ive got a printer this should fit on it. I can do one for you. Jacain what is the native file for that turbo 2d wireframe?

It's a jpg. I'll see if I can find another type like png. I think Adobe has a product with good trace functionality that can be used on jpg if SW has issues.

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

sootie

Reaction score
For the Borgs, the frame size is dictated by the first number, all S400s chargers (467.7, 480, 488 etc) are the same frame regardless of compressor or cover. However depending on what cover you buy (standard or race), that changes external dimensions on that side of the turbo.

That other thing that may pose a challenge when 3d printing is orientation of the cover. Almost never are the turbos installed the way they come out of the box. It takes clocking to get it just right. NOW if you could 3d print to haves that mate using the v band clamp that comes on the turbo, that would be the cat's meow for mockup purposes!

shmoozer

Reaction score
Could you import and trace the everything but say the compressor wheel and cover? That way you could attach a real cover onto the 3D printed version with a v band. Would allow you to clock the cover how you need it when building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I can use a jpg. I will bring it into autocad and run the trace routine. Then open it in inventor and start. Are there frame sizes for each class of turbo? Like is the 472 and the 478 the same size?

Cool. I have Inventor, but not Autocad. :(

sootie

Reaction score
Not sure if the exhaust housings change outside dimension based on a/r though...
Obviously t4 and t6 would be different from each other but I'm not sure if the different a/r's for each would be different

ja_cain

Reaction score
Making it in 2 halves is not that big of a deal. I would have to use a little better base plastic to handle the load of the clamp. I also think this would be a better choice to handle to abuse and movement of mocking up the tubing. I wish I could get my hands on a turbo. I could use my faro to laser scan it in two halves then i could have these parts ready to print in under 5 minutes. Anyone close to 70611 area code. I am mobile so a 30 meet up would be all thats needed.

That's awesome man! I wish we were close as I would love to collaborate! Lol! One of the machine shops I work with is thinking about eventually getting a metal printer. The only problem is that there isn't really good support yet. He does a lot of work for Northrop Grumman and NASA.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.