EGR Upgrade Question

Wicked

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Sorry for the long question but I feel like people on this forum are on another level when it comes to knowledge about all things Powerstroke. I feel y'all will give me straight no bull**** answers like I'd probably find on FB.

So I installed the 5" exhuast system and GDP Tunes (loving the 75hp tune) on my 5,000 mile 2019 F250. It sounds good but not great. I don't know how to explain it - it just doesn't sound as good as my old 7.3 with the 5" exhaust. It's not as loud and not as much turbo noise. I really want to make this truck sound better. I know it is not a 7.3 but I just want to find some ways to make it sound as sweet as it looks/rides. As you will see I'm really more interested in the sound of the truck than performance. This is not a work truck and is purley used for pleasure.

I heard that doing the EGR upgrade might change the sound of the truck (hopefully better) and I ordered the kit to have it done. I am not comfortable with doing this modification myself so I have started to look for shops to do it. Well turns out not many people want to do it :shrug:. I finally found a shop that would do it but they are not a hardcore diesel shop. The mechanic I talked to said he has done a bunch of 11-16 but never the 17-19. He has hit every detail about some of the difficult parts to get out (ex manifold bolts and the bolt on the back of the passenger side valve cover next to the firewall) which makes me feel a little more comfortable. He then made me feel a little less confident talking about how much of a pain it is to get all the air out the main coolant system. So now I'm having 2nd thoughts about if I should even do this to my virtually brand new truck.... is messing with the EGR even worth the effort.

So here are my main questions:

1. Should I even do the EGR upgrade?

2. Would not removing the EGR hurt anything in the long term with just counting on the valve to close off the egr system? Where is this valve anyway? Right on the intake side from the exhaust manifold into the EGR?

3. Are the rumors true that it would change the sound of the truck?

4. Anyone have a recommendation for a shop/person in South Alabama/Gulf Coast area (PM me only on that)

Future plans for the truck is a No Limit Stage 2 intake and 10 blade turbine/6x6 compressor or upgrade to KC S2/Cheetah or maybe ditch the VGT to go with a s363 - not really looking for more power - just maximize sound. I plan on putting 8k or so miles a year on the truck and mainly just use it for cruising around and going to the beach because my company car is so LAME it hurts. I do plan on holding onto the truck for 6-8 years or so.

webb06

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Sorry for the long question but I feel like people on this forum are on another level when it comes to knowledge about all things Powerstroke. I feel y'all will give me straight no bull**** answers like I'd probably find on FB.

So I installed the 5" exhuast system and GDP Tunes (loving the 75hp tune) on my 5,000 mile 2019 F250. It sounds good but not great. I don't know how to explain it - it just doesn't sound as good as my old 7.3 with the 5" exhaust. It's not as loud and not as much turbo noise. I really want to make this truck sound better. I know it is not a 7.3 but I just want to find some ways to make it sound as sweet as it looks/rides. As you will see I'm really more interested in the sound of the truck than performance. This is not a work truck and is purley used for pleasure.

I heard that doing the EGR upgrade might change the sound of the truck (hopefully better) and I ordered the kit to have it done. I am not comfortable with doing this modification myself so I have started to look for shops to do it. Well turns out not many people want to do it :shrug:. I finally found a shop that would do it but they are not a hardcore diesel shop. The mechanic I talked to said he has done a bunch of 11-16 but never the 17-19. He has hit every detail about some of the difficult parts to get out (ex manifold bolts and the bolt on the back of the passenger side valve cover next to the firewall) which makes me feel a little more comfortable. He then made me feel a little less confident talking about how much of a pain it is to get all the air out the main coolant system. So now I'm having 2nd thoughts about if I should even do this to my virtually brand new truck.... is messing with the EGR even worth the effort.

So here are my main questions:

1. Should I even do the EGR upgrade?

2. Would not removing the EGR hurt anything in the long term with just counting on the valve to close off the egr system? Where is this valve anyway? Right on the intake side from the exhaust manifold into the EGR?

3. Are the rumors true that it would change the sound of the truck?

4. Anyone have a recommendation for a shop/person in South Alabama/Gulf Coast area (PM me only on that)

Future plans for the truck is a No Limit Stage 2 intake and 10 blade turbine/6x6 compressor or upgrade to KC S2/Cheetah or maybe ditch the VGT to go with a s363 - not really looking for more power - just maximize sound. I plan on putting 8k or so miles a year on the truck and mainly just use it for cruising around and going to the beach because my company car is so LAME it hurts. I do plan on holding onto the truck for 6-8 years or so.

Without answering every question. Egr removal won’t change the exhaust sound of the truck at all

If you’re wanting more drone sound then non vgt is for you. If you’re wanting the whistle tone then an upgraded vgt turbo is for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
I can’t answer your questions directly either as I’m running em toones for now. Plan is to scrap it all but wanted to give the future a chance before stripping her (17 currently 13k on it). With that said, I have already got those bolts out (do it while engine is warm, wobble needed on a bolt with extension) and lubed them with anti seize in hopes of those coming out freely once I decide to make that jump. Also I thought I heard these newer 17+ didn’t have that fire wall stub but again I haven’t reached back there. I’ve always heard the air pocket issue on my past 6.4 but never experienced that doing flushes/refills but can see that on double tanks.
Did you do your exhaust yourself, if so you’ve got the engine bay.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I opted to use blocker plates instead. I really didn’t want to reroute the coolant hose. I did notice the turbo seems to spool sooner than before. I use the gdp tunes with a sotf switch. The exhaust didn’t change any, but that’s with only blocker plates. I used a 5” mbrp exhaust.