Milling Equipment

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Looking for a mill to add to my shop tools. Something that I can use to make exhaust plates, turbo mounts, etc.

Was looking at older bridgeport j heads as the price seems reasonable on them and everyone says the older ones last forever if taken care of.

Any suggestions or things I should avoid/check when looking at one?

zilla68

Reaction score
Looking for a mill to add to my shop tools. Something that I can use to make exhaust plates, turbo mounts, etc.

Was looking at older bridgeport j heads as the price seems reasonable on them and everyone says the older ones last forever if taken care of.

Any suggestions or things I should avoid/check when looking at one?

you probably already know this, but I have a buddy who is a mover, and he said you wouldn't believe the people that buy stuff before finding out what it costs to move it, at least what the minimums are.
I never realized how much that stuff costs to move when its as heavy as some of it is.

superpsd

Reaction score
You can move smaller mills with some ingenuity. Granted it is a smaller 800-900 ish lb horizontal mill. A Bridgeport with a Prototrak control is on my list someday. Most guys use come alongs and wood to drag a mill onto a low deck trailer.
IMAG1101_1_zpsi4t3hkic.jpg

Last edited:

Bugman

Reaction score
When you start getting heavy cast iron or steel machines the pounds add up fast and a lot of movers will just flat tell you to find someone else.

Always find a mover before you purchase something like a milling machine. That is unless it is a table top model.

BroncOJ

Reaction score
When I looked into getting a mill many of the ads said they could load it on a trailer for you. Would you be able to off load it? I bet so.

Don't forget that many of the Bridgeport style knee mills have 3 phase motors. Just factor that into your budget when shopping.

I came to the conclusion that I should get the smallest mill that would handle my needs. Fortunately my brother in law had a decent mill/drill combo at the time so I didn't get anything.

Good luck with you're decision.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
you probably already know this, but I have a buddy who is a mover, and he said you wouldn't believe the people that buy stuff before finding out what it costs to move it, at least what the minimums are.
I never realized how much that stuff costs to move when its as heavy as some of it is.

When you start getting heavy cast iron or steel machines the pounds add up fast and a lot of movers will just flat tell you to find someone else.

Always find a mover before you purchase something like a milling machine. That is unless it is a table top model.

I plan to move it myself. I have an 8k forklift in my shop. I have a 10k trailer that I can move it on if needed. Also have access to a rollback and other larger equipment if needed but I think the forklift should be able to handle it.

When I looked into getting a mill many of the ads said they could load it on a trailer for you. Would you be able to off load it? I bet so.

Don't forget that many of the Bridgeport style knee mills have 3 phase motors. Just factor that into your budget when shopping.

I came to the conclusion that I should get the smallest mill that would handle my needs. Fortunately my brother in law had a decent mill/drill combo at the time so I didn't get anything.

Good luck with you're decision.

If they can load it, I can def get it unloaded.

I have 3 phase service at my shop already. Just would have to get it hooked up.

I currently have a small mill/drill/lathe combo unit that my grandfather bought about 10 years ago. He used it for 1 big project and it has been sitting ever since. Plan to get it out and start playing with it, but know I will need a bigger machine in the long run.

gwunter

Reaction score
I would strongly advise having power feeds, even if you are just beginning. Cranking and cranking is no fun especially if you want to surface a head or exhaust manifold. If you want a serious dedicated mill i would go with a kearney trecker, cincinnati, or something similar. Those machines also have better power feed systems that will do better than the bridgeport style servo powerfeeds. I run a kearney & trecker 2hl vertical. I seriously advise you to check out kearney trecker machines. The only downfall to kearney trecker machines is they are not DRO friendly. K&t machines also have powerfeeds on every axis from the factory. Prices will be similar between KT and bridgeport, except with the k&t you get 3x the mill.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I would strongly advise having power feeds, even if you are just beginning. Cranking and cranking is no fun especially if you want to surface a head or exhaust manifold. If you want a serious dedicated mill i would go with a kearney trecker, cincinnati, or something similar. Those machines also have better power feed systems that will do better than the bridgeport style servo powerfeeds. I run a kearney & trecker 2hl vertical. I seriously advise you to check out kearney trecker machines. The only downfall to kearney trecker machines is they are not DRO friendly. K&t machines also have powerfeeds on every axis from the factory. Prices will be similar between KT and bridgeport, except with the k&t you get 3x the mill.

I will look into the K&T machines. It would be nice to have power feed on all 3 axis but figured that would be out of my price range. This is more of a hobby machine for me.

What do you mean DRO?

gwunter

Reaction score
I believe a round ram would be an "m head". They are typically older than a "j head" and not as robust as a j head. But thats if i recall correctly.....

Also one method ive used to move this type of equipment is a good heavy crane truck. The local propane company i have connections with. Simply sling the mill/lathe/etc and set it on the crane truck and strap it down. Ive successfully moved several with this fashion.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Depending on what you want to build you may also look into finding a Bridgeport setup with a Prototrak which is a CNC. I have made plenty off parts with a J head prototrak equipped. The programming is simple conversational programming that any dumby can figure out to program. Prototrak also has DRO mode. DRO just displays positioning. I see Bridgeport with the early prototacks go all the time for 4-5K

Last edited:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I believe a round ram would be an "m head". They are typically older than a "j head" and not as robust as a j head. But thats if i recall correctly.....

Also one method ive used to move this type of equipment is a good heavy crane truck. The local propane company i have connections with. Simply sling the mill/lathe/etc and set it on the crane truck and strap it down. Ive successfully moved several with this fashion.

Mine is a late round ram with a j head but the older round ram's had a m head. The whole base is smaller and less rigid. For a home shop if I found one for the right price and it wasn't so worn out it was junk i would pick one up. I wouldn't want a j head though. All the older ones will have some amount of wear on the ways and screws. some much more than others though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.