Gear swap

Reaction score
I can’t find anything while searching, can anyone tell me what would be needed to swap gears from one 10.25 (3.55 gears) to another 10.25 (4.10 gears) and the steps needed so I don’t screw it up.

I have a stripped axle with 4.10’s sitting in my yard and the axle with 3.55’s is under the truck. Can I just take the center section out and be good?

Truck is daily driver and I finally have 3 days straight off so would like to get it done this weekend.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Youre going to need a new crush sleeve, pinion seal, silicone, and fluid at bare minimum. Id do axle o rings as well,and probably bearings. You may need a shim kit, depending on the pattern, use the shims from the housing youre swapping from, not the ones in the housing currently in the truck.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Why are you going from 3.55's to 4.10's? Especially since it's a daily driver? You're gonna kill your highway mileage with the 4.10. I have 4.10 in mine and I squench everytime I look at my tach doing 75.

Reaction score
I’ve never messed with hearing before so a little worried. There’s beer and pizza if anyone wants to come supervise lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Why cant you just take one axle out from under the and put the other under? Unless I'm wrong and very well could be to me it seems easier to swap complete axles vs pulling gears from one and putting it in the other. And then you only have to concentrate on freshening things up for your new axle.

trevdalocal

Reaction score
You have marking compound to check the gear mesh? Setting ring and pinions is a little bit of an art, and "close enough" isn't if you want them live, especially if you're towing enough to need 4.10s.

Latest posts