Build me a system audio guru

bigbrdf250

Reaction score
2011 f250 crew cab power rear window factory sync/nav setup.
Music I listen to is electric/dance,rock,Spanish,country,some rap lol in that order.
I know it's a broad range of sound so keep that in mind.
I like budget builds so that would be nice,and when I say that I'm referring to not spending $853 on a pair of components when I can have a decent set for 1/4 of the cost. I have many projects and they all get too expensive at times.

I'd like to do a complete system but if it gets expensive I'll do part now and leave for expansion/completion at a later date.
Here's what I want or the like from others that have installed or heard other systems. Not for competition either just for my personal use.

2 shallow sub BEHIND rear seat prefer jl13tw5 or the like,ohms????
Amp(s) for subs
Correct box with power rear window. Do the loaded truck boxes with the jl13tw5 fit behind the seat???
Front and rear speakers and/or components.
Spacers for mounting said speakers
Wire kit for power, ground,fuses,breakers and also speaker wires
Audio control for factory head unit/line converters/rca cables
And a thing else I have left out as I have not done a system in a while.

Also most importantly feedback on certain products and install tips. Example is there are many shallow subs but w/o hearing said sub just looking at specs may not always be good,some products are overrated on specs and some are overrated because of THE NAME behind it. I've done plenty of research but that's never enough. Thanks and be kind noob here.

Supereco06

Reaction score
Ok, so I had some fun with this, sorry it took so long, we have been jammed here at the shop. All prices are retail.

Kicker ZXSUM8 for signal control: $199.99
Kicker CX300.4 4Channel 75x4 @ 4 ohm: $199.95
Kicker CSS68 Component 6x8: $149.99 (Front)
Kicker CS68 Coaxial 6x8: $69.95 (Rear)
Kicker CX1200.1 Mono Amp: $349.95
2x Kicker CompRT 1ohm: $169.95ea
Behind the Seat Box for electric window, finished in bedliner material: $253.95
Dual Amp Kit: $125+/-
Misc other materials: $50-75

Grand Total: 1763.68

This can definitely get scaled back some, but this is a very high quality build that should well outlive the truck.

bigbrdf250

Reaction score
Hmm sounds interesting. I'll look up the stuff. I see ur partial to kicker. Lol

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I have bought Jl everything for years and most of it is still rock solid I bought mb quarts subs on the last build and nuked them with a jl 500.1 I have since learned that mb q is no longer great German engineering like my high school days and to get shallow 12's on a a jl amp and run it hard I have to go back to jl subs 13tw5 lesson learned is if it ain't broke don't fix it and or you get what u pay for 99$ subs are junk...... Rant over no bass this sux dik

scparrish

Reaction score
I have always found kicker speakers to be a little lacking personally, we all have our opinions.

Sundown SD-10s or SD-8s are solid performers (subwoofer)
Alpine Type R 6.5 components (front stage)
Alpine Type R 6x8 coaxials (rear stage)

If you don't mind searching around or buying used I recommend the image dynamics xs series speakers.

Soundstream RUB series amps are really good for the price.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have always found kicker speakers to be a little lacking personally, we all have our opinions.

Sundown SD-10s or SD-8s are solid performers (subwoofer)
Alpine Type R 6.5 components (front stage)
Alpine Type R 6x8 coaxials (rear stage)

If you don't mind searching around or buying used I recommend the image dynamics xs series speakers.

Soundstream RUB series amps are really good for the price.

I remember a guy demoing a Soundstream reference once (circa 92). He used one to power a circular saw ripping plywood. They were one of the few high current amps back in the day that could pretty much double power output when impedance was halved. That's cool that they are still around.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I saw a sound stream angina back in my high school days it was physically about 8"x10" and was driving a wall of 12's thT shook the building the shop was in

ja_cain

Reaction score
I saw a sound stream angina back in my high school days it was physically about 8"x10" and was driving a wall of 12's thT shook the building the shop was in

They were pretty sweet back in the day. My bother had a reference 500 running 4 12's and it sounded pretty good for the little bit of money had in it. It probably would have been better with a stiffening cap and a better alternator as I think that the power supplies were unregulated but can't remember.

Last edited:

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of sundown audio. RE Subwoofers as well. I also love JL amps, not a fan of the subs anymore. Contact Audio Outlet in San Marcos TX. My buddy Taylor works there and has always been my go to guy and who I learned from. They know and work on anything from custom exotics, boats, side by side ATVs, and trucks..
Tell him cway sent you lol

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
I always liked FOCAL. Had their 6" round speakers in the doors of my old f-body and some mounted in rear panels. They get Pretty F'N loud haha

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Resident audio connoisseur on here would be UNBROKEN, PM him and I'm sure he will be glad to point you in the right direction. And Focal is about as good as it gets short of all out competition stuff.

silver6four

Reaction score
i have been thinking about a single jl tw13v2 in the stealth jl box under rear seat with a jl 500 amp..anyone have feed back on sound??? i no it wont be the same but i used to have 2 jl 15" w3's with a jl 1000 running them in ext cab f150 few years ago..well more like 6/7years ago lol.. am i going to be let down ???? anyone?? already have kenwood indash tv and alpine amp running new alpine 6*8's....sounds ok but still needs some fine tuning..pretty loud for 4 6*8's...thanks for any help..

BK39

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online