Do I really need more power?

zporta

Reaction score
Lmao @ shift on the fly being a deal breaker for anybody. Lazy ****s :slap:

Time is money. It's not about laziness one bit. When you have employees sitting around waiting on you to tow something it's costing me $.

RSK

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother getting a 16' unless you want to spend the money for tax purposes, i'd just keep the 2012 you personally. I think buying a new truck is waste of money but a lot of people do it.

Inline6359

Reaction score
Time is money. It's not about laziness one bit. When you have employees sitting around waiting on you to tow something it's costing me $.

You said you don't know usually until an hour before. Last I checked it doesn't take an hour to upload a tune. I had a smarty on my 06 dodge (known for long upload times), I could back my dodge under the trailer, start the download, hook up the trailer, do all my checks, and come back to a basically tuned truck. It's your story, you can tell it how you want, but it's stupid to let on the fly tuning be a deciding factor. It's a nice feature but wouldn't stop me from purchasing a newer truck if I couldn't have it.

Hpfp, turbo, exhaust brake, interior, restyling, aluminum body, those are features that would dictate weather I did or did not buy a new truck.

jcain

Reaction score
I would rather tune once with a minimaxx rather than reloading a new tune multiple times a week. You're treading on thin ice every time you rewrite the pcm.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
To each their own, but I really like that shift on the fly feature. It would be really hard to give up, but in the end would that make an overall decision on buying a new truck, no. But, there really isn't as much difference between the OP's truck and the 15/16's. Nothing that couldn't be changed for less than the payment of new truck, such as a turbo and hpfp swap. If the alum bodies were out it would be a different story though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Lmao @ shift on the fly being a deal breaker for anybody. Lazy ****s :slap:
it sucks coming from an old dinosaur 7.3 when you can just flip.a switch.... lol.. i hate it but what can ya do.. for me its like hey wait for me to upload this tune so i can play with you on tye freeway, oh wait, i cant see you anymore... nevermind.. ill be here parked for 15 min uploading a tune.... 👎👎👎

live life full throttle

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
it sucks coming from an old dinosaur 7.3 when you can just flip.a switch.... lol.. i hate it but what can ya do.. for me its like hey wait for me to upload this tune so i can play with you on tye freeway, oh wait, i cant see you anymore... nevermind.. ill be here parked for 15 min uploading a tune.... &#55357;&#56398;&#55357;&#56398;&#55357;&#56398;

live life full throttle

put it on the big tune always, it will net the best mileage driven properly. drop it for towing. thats only an issue for the 15' guys. anyone with a 11-14 need not complain as the option is readily available, just drop the cash. most dont need to change tunes frequently though.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm towing pretty heavy now at 25k lbs. Running gearhead tunes on 'street'.

Not real crazy about seeing 30psi of boost, but EGT's are still under 1400 so I've left it alone as the guys from gearhead say that the street tune will get the best mpg.

I have GOT to put the 50 gal tank in that's been sitting in my shop for 2 months and get some airbags and traction bars.

Hard to believe, but I've asked 3 different dealers now to quote me a price. Only place that even responded is up in Michigan and I think their price is pretty high. + it'd be a long azz drive to go get it and probably be a pita dealing with a trade.

Really don't think I need more power. A better exhaust brake would be nice, but will the 16 really be any better than the VGT I have now?

Bigger brakes would be nice, but it seems to stop the load just fine now (though I haven't had a panic stop yet.)

Here's a pic of the rig spread out at the Windrock Jamboree. I managed to stuff 2 bumpers, 1 Harley and the ATV in the back of the toyhauler. There's room for a dirtbike too...
10550192_10203451393397350_5156640316320359735_o.jpg

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm towing pretty heavy now at 25k lbs. Running gearhead tunes on 'street'.

Not real crazy about seeing 30psi of boost, but EGT's are still under 1400 so I've left it alone as the guys from gearhead say that the street tune will get the best mpg.

I have GOT to put the 50 gal tank in that's been sitting in my shop for 2 months and get some airbags and traction bars.

Hard to believe, but I've asked 3 different dealers now to quote me a price. Only place that even responded is up in Michigan and I think their price is pretty high. + it'd be a long azz drive to go get it and probably be a pita dealing with a trade.

Really don't think I need more power. A better exhaust brake would be nice, but will the 16 really be any better than the VGT I have now?

Bigger brakes would be nice, but it seems to stop the load just fine now (though I haven't had a panic stop yet.)

Here's a pic of the rig spread out at the Windrock Jamboree. I managed to stuff 2 bumpers, 1 Harley and the ATV in the back of the toyhauler. There's room for a dirtbike too...
10550192_10203451393397350_5156640316320359735_o.jpg

what traction bars you want ? bigger brakes not needed IMO

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
put it on the big tune always, it will net the best mileage driven properly. drop it for towing. thats only an issue for the 15' guys. anyone with a 11-14 need not complain as the option is readily available, just drop the cash. most dont need to change tunes frequently though.
14 mpg in the big tune, 21 in the street tune same route, all highway. multiple times... it stays in the street tune....

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
Well I'm tuning it. the truck is a POS trying to take off boost launching while drag racing. Just doesn't want to do it right, with all the limiters.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Well I'm tuning it. the truck is a POS trying to take off boost launching while drag racing. Just doesn't want to do it right, with all the limiters.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That didn't take long, lol.

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
Never had shift on fly but never really need it. Biggest thing this trucks seen is the wake boat. I have been toying the idea of a camper though, but I am not time limited so I can let the tune load

Inline6359

Reaction score
14 mpg in the big tune, 21 in the street tune same route, all highway. multiple times... it stays in the street tune....

live life full throttle

Wonder what the timing in the street tune vs the big tune is? Like mikey said, usually any big tune gets better mpg then the lower levels. If driven correctly of course.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wonder what the timing in the street tune vs the big tune is? Like mikey said, usually any big tune gets better mpg then the lower levels. If driven correctly of course.
all highway with cruise set at 76mph between central michigan and buffalo new york. same route, many trips...

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Why change tunes all the time. Unless you can't control your right foot. I've towed 30k on the big tune. You just don't push it that hard.

And fwiw my 15 on the "tow" tune did 405. The 11 we dynoed on h&s "performance" tune with a stock turbo only did 427..... So I think you would be fine. Honestly leaving it on the tow or street setting is safe, get a cts monitor. Drive it ready to hook up to a trailer at anytime and still have as much or more power than your 2012. Plus the 11-14 turbos are a giant pile that at no given warning fail on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theplumber

Reaction score
Why change tunes all the time. Unless you can't control your right foot. I've towed 30k on the big tune. You just don't push it that hard.

And fwiw my 15 on the "tow" tune did 405. The 11 we dynoed on h&s "performance" tune with a stock turbo only did 427..... So I think you would be fine. Honestly leaving it on the tow or street setting is safe, get a cts monitor. Drive it ready to hook up to a trailer at anytime and still have as much or more power than your 2012. Plus the 11-14 turbos are a giant pile that at no given warning fail on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 14 whit gearhead performance tune i can take my 13000 fifthwheel and everything was good .Now whit my 15 whit innovative diesel i can't read my egt :( cause i have dpf on . But the tune arr nice . I just order a elm 327 wifi from ebay whit torque pro app it s suppose to read the egt. Cause i am sure i can tow my toy on perf tune just like gearhead if i don't push it to much.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Latest posts

Members online