I have no clue what’s wrong with my truck?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
It’s a 2004 studded and ******d tuned truck. It’s an 03 build 03 turbo etc. I will do my best to explain what it’s doing.

Couple months ago it started a bad surge issue. It would surge during normal driving but at stop lights and traffic it’s borderline dangerous. It will launch the truck forward. This issue would come and go. Sometimes go a week running perfect. Lately it does it and dies. When it does the surge rpms fly up and come down with cloud of smoke out the exhaust. Even now with it getting worse the truck still runs like an animal. It’s the strongest and healthiest 6.0 tune only I’ve ever been around and really made a name for itself. It has 173k miles on it and is throwing no codes. It has a whine that I believe might be the up pipes leaking? I don’t believe it’s the trans. I at least hope not.

Looking for some help here. I will answer all the questions as they come and once again I appreciate it.

sootie

Reaction score
Get a monitor on it so you can see what's going on. Icp volts, map, fuel pressure, ficm voltage, vgt duty cycle

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Get a monitor on it so you can see what's going on. Icp volts, map, fuel pressure, ficm voltage, vgt duty cycle

I have a CTS2. I believe it has all that? I can go out right now. You want that stuff at just idle?

sootie

Reaction score
I have a CTS2. I believe it has all that? I can go out right now. You want that stuff at just idle?
It should show all that. Video the pids when it's acting up

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Now the truck won’t start. Does that help the diagnosis? I’ll keep trying.

I got it running. Pile of ****.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
It’s idling fine now. This is all I can find on the monitor unless it’s called something else. These are healthy idle numbers below no surge issues yet.

VGT%- 68.8-70.2

FICM- 48.0

ICP volts- .8-.9

ICP psi- 770-792

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Map might be called boost. You could also use a laptop with forscan and view live data

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Need data when the truck is acting up

You did. I’m giving you normal numbers z. I’m not a mechanic and don’t even know what normal numbers should be. Where I come from engineering field the more the data the better. Sorry.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I know you said it’s ******d, who ******d it? You or a previous owner. Had this issue one time and it was the edge valve on top of the intake manifold behind the elbow sticking. You’d be driving and it would be gutless then all of a sudden it would take off. Check to see if the valve is still there.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I know you said it’s ******d, who ******d it? You or a previous owner. Had this issue one time and it was the edge valve on top of the intake manifold behind the elbow sticking. You’d be driving and it would be gutless then all of a sudden it would take off. Check to see if the valve is still there.

It’s rolling white smoke out the exhaust. I think the turbo just gave out? Yep I have no boost.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
It's not a good idea if the turbo just blew because you're sending metal pieces all throughout the engine and do more damage. Damage to the point that you will have to replace the motor.

sootie

Reaction score
It's not a good idea if the turbo just blew because you're sending metal pieces all throughout the engine and do more damage. Damage to the point that you will have to replace the motor.
Please explain how metal pieces would get into the motor????

More of a danger of runaway due to the lube oil getting pushed into the intake and even that's far fetched.

08Monster

Reaction score
Please explain how metal pieces would get into the motor????

More of a danger of runaway due to the lube oil getting pushed into the intake and even that's far fetched.

I have a semi at my shop right now with a C15 with a failed turbo that sent metal into the engine and now needs and overhaul.

I had a semi in the past with a failed turbo on a C13, and pumped enough oil into the intake system that it infact ran away. A C13 at over 5000rpm sounds pretty cool. So both are possible, never say something isn't possible.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I have a semi at my shop right now with a C15 with a failed turbo that sent metal into the engine and now needs and overhaul.

I had a semi in the past with a failed turbo on a C13, and pumped enough oil into the intake system that it infact ran away. A C13 at over 5000rpm sounds pretty cool. So both are possible, never say something isn't possible.

Ya.......not a six liter. The intercooler design makes in inCREDibly difficult to let the chunks thru.

08Monster

Reaction score
Ya.......not a six liter. The intercooler design makes in inCREDibly difficult to let the chunks thru.

Doesn't have to be chunks, shavings and dust make their way through. Last I checked, most intercoolers are built about the same.