2011 burning oil

Cg6288

Reaction score
2011 has 158k fully d*****d I was losing some coolant and blowing smoke out of the exhaust. Mechanic replaced the turbo and said the turbo seals were letting the oil past and burninget out the exhaust. Truck started smoking worse and we could not drive it long enough to determine whether or not the coolant issue was solved. We drained the oil to find it was nearly 4 qts overfilled and pulled injectors, glow plugs and the intake. All looked great on the drivers side but the last 2 cylinders on the passengers side towards the cab the glow plugs and injectors were discolored and oily and sticky. We've pressured tested the primary coolant for 48 hrs at 35psi and all was good. We are at a loss and the only thing I can think of is the either valve seals/guideso or the intake gasket letting coolant by. Any ideas out there or has anyone had any similar issues? Thanks yall.

sootie

Reaction score
what was the oil overfilled with? any misfire or codes?

if it was overfilled with coolant and that was not an issue prior to the turbo swap, i would check the pedestal gasket.

Cg6288

Reaction score
Overfilled with oil no codes or misfire. The truck runs great it just smokes like a train.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What was in the oil causing it to be overfilled is what sootie was getting at? Unless someone double filled it when they changed the oil, something, such as coolant or fuel, was in the oil causing it to be high. Fuel in the oil youd be able to smell, and the oil would be pretty thin, coolant would drain out first when you pulled the plug, and if it had time to mix, you would have some choclate milkshake and/or thicker oil. I have yet to see a truck make motor oil, if you find one with those capabilities, let me know, could probably be a rich man.

Cg6288

Reaction score
Haha no it’s not making its own oil. There was no coolant or fuel in the oil. It was just over filled from “topping it off.” The dip stick looks to always read low roughly mid way on the cross hatches. Our drivers are responsible for checking fluid levels on a regular basis. Great initiative on their part however I wish it was brought to my attention prior to adding the oil. I’m concerned about the 2 cylinders possibly having bad rings allowing too much blow by but I haven’t seen or heard of this being an issue with these trucks. Parts should be in this morning for the injectors and intake so crossing my fingers it’s not a blow by issue. Maybe too much crankcase pressure venting oil back through the intake. What do y’all think.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
get the correct amount of oil in it and drive it. If the turbo seals were actually leaking, how much residual oil is still sitting in the exhaust pipe? check to make sure the level isn't increasing. Did they put a new turbo or a used one in?

Cg6288

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much residual was still in the exhaust but it did not start smoking right away after the new turbo was put on. It started smoking again after roughly 15-20 miles driven with the oil still overfilled. That’s when I had him drain all the oil and start checking all the cylinders. I’ll follow up once we have it driving again and I’ll personally monitor the oil and coolant. This truck will be mine until we have it figured out and can rotate it back to the farm.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
When these are overfull of oil, they will burn it. If the oil wasn't changed after the turbo replacement, it needs to be changed. As sootie said, get the right amount in it and drive it and see.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Cg6288

Reaction score
All right got it back together with the correct oil and coolant levels. Drove it around a bit and no smoke so far. I scrubbed and scraped all the crud out of the valve covers/intake manifolds, lower and upper manifolds and put the good drivers side glow plugs in the passenger side cylinders just in case it starts up smoking again. I did notice a very significant difference in the valve cover/intake gaskets once I compared the new and old ones. There is a noticeable difference in the corner near the coolant jacket ports. Hopefully we’ve got it figured out. Driving it from Ga to NC this weekend to see what happens. Thanks for y’all a input and I will definitely follow up on our trip this weekend.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Well that's good it seems to be ok. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cg6288

Reaction score
Well been driving it around running errands and just keeping it running as much as possible. This morning on my way to the farm it started smoking again. We have no idea what to do from here.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Where is the Oil level at now? Have you noticed if it starts smoking once the Oil temps come up to normal operating range? Or is it cold or getting hot? How good is the mechanic does he preform good work ex: pinched turbo seal? Use torque specs that type of thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cg6288

Reaction score
For the first few days it didn’t smoke at all cold or at op temp however significantly after it reached op temp it was smoking. Yesterday I found coolant in the crankcase vent box. The cap was domed shaped from the pressure and coolant collecting. Took the heads off and they at the machine shop and will know something early next week.

Latest posts

Members online