Fluid film? Anyone use it?

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
I'm looking to protect my new truck over the winter. (Undercarriage) I came across fluid film. Everything I have read says it works. I'm just looking to see if anyone has used it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I use it on my trailer hitch and trailer tongue as well as my snow plow. It works well for those applications, so it probably would work for a truck.

zilla68

Reaction score
alot of lawn guys use it to keep the grass from sticking to the decks, but I don't think it lasts long in that application.

NY_Mott

Reaction score

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I have not applied it yet, but I have 3 cans of this http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...nts/heavy-duty-metal-protector/?code=AMHSC-EA
I have sprayed it it on the tail gate and door hinges just to see how it works, seems like it covers well.
I talked to a member on here ( can not remember who ) but he said he used about 3-4 cans once a year on his truck and it helped a lot.

I worked on the water for years, and fluid film can be a lifesaver when it comes to metal equipment and salt water. I would think however, that it would be very messy and time consuming to spray down your truck several times a season as a preventative measure. A good undercoating might be more expensive, but it's a paint it and forget it for a couple of seasons kinda thing vs spraying ff every couple of weeks. Just my opinion of course :)

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I agree ^^^ but $30.00 and several hours of my time is better then over a grand to get it sprayed the right way.
I hope to spray it next year but for now ill at least attempt to help it with the spray.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Diesel fuel
Is a chit ton cheaper than $30. And spray the truck with it gives the same result. "Sorry, got a fuel leak." It'll smell like fuel but oh well.

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
Fluid film should last a season. It doesn't dry. I wouldn't never put rubberized undercoating on a vehicle. Traps water in there and after a while they start to crack.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have had pretty good results with this stuff applied every other year by the local body shop for $180.00 a shot.. The only thing I don't like about it is it drips for a couple of weeks and smells like vomit..

truckman1974

Reaction score
I have had pretty good results with this stuff applied every other year by the local body shop for $180.00 a shot.. The only thing I don't like about it is it drips for a couple of weeks and smells like vomit..

:puke::priest:

O4ep3civ

Reaction score

How well does it protect?

Atsah

Reaction score
How well does it protect?

It's pretty good stuff.. I also apply it myself to my snowplow and my tractor and I don't see any rust at all.. The main thing is, apply it while it's new.. Any new car dealer up here offers it as an option before you take delivery of a new vehicle..

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
It's pretty good stuff.. I also apply it myself to my snowplow and my tractor and I don't see any rust at all.. The main thing is, apply it while it's new.. Any new car dealer up here offers it as an option before you take delivery of a new vehicle..

Welcome back dude! Glad to see you still lurking around here.

ucpa111

Reaction score
I use fluid film in PA winters and it works very well. I spray the vehicle when new, getting inside panels, doors, tailgate, etc. I then do touch up annually in the Fall to prepare for winter. It does a very good job. You don't need to spray it on thick...just a light film. If it's dripping, it's too much (IMO). My truck has seen a couple winters and has no rust. In high wear areas (like near wheels where you pickup wash from the wheels, it will wear off), I buy a small can and do touch up a couple times per winter (pull the truck in the garage, warm it up, wash, and dry...then spray).

It's the most cost effective, easy to apply, and highest performance stuff I've used. Not saying other things aren't out there...but FluidFilm was developed for the navy. I use it on all my equipment with great results. I purchased a sprayer and buy the FF in 1 gallon containers. I like it.

Note, it will attract dust and dirt. So, if you want a spotless undercarriage, this is not the product for you. But, I powerwash annually. I am more concerned with keeping rust from starting.

I used the product on previous vehicles (last one was 2006 Tundra - that I traded in 2012 and it was immaculate underneath (no rust - on welds, panels, frame, etc).

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
When you power wash it off it looks clean right? Doesn't leave it messy dirty looking once removed. When you do touch ups do you clean the entire area where your reapplying or just spray over the dirty FF I just bought an airless sprayer like they recommended.

Atsah

Reaction score
When you power wash it off it looks clean right? Doesn't leave it messy dirty looking once removed. When you do touch ups do you clean the entire area where your reapplying or just spray over the dirty FF I just bought an airless sprayer like they recommended.

First off, be careful power washing, you can blow the stuff right off, it does not completely dry and it will get dirty.. I use a hose only, I never touch up any of it.. Apply it and leave it until the next time your ready to spray the whole thing again..

ucpa111

Reaction score
Yes…if you power wash…it will look "clean" under the truck again. I only power wash in the Fall….let dry…and then hit with FF again for winter.

Latest posts

Members online