Gearhead vs. innovative tuning

powerjoker12

Reaction score
What a power difference just by switching tunes. Im very happy with the tunes. The tranny tunes are awesome. but the trucks in the shop now cracked an upipe lol

03silvertj

Reaction score
I'd like to try out some of the tunes from Gearhead and Innovative. I'm currently running Spartan though. So I've got a couple questions.

Which tuner would be the best option? H&S or SCT. I'd prefer to buy the SCT due to the price of the H&S "race" products right now. I think 1499.99 is a little crazy for an XRT Pro.

If I were to get an SCT, which PN would I need? Would either the 4015 or 3015 work?

Lastly... If I did want to go back to the Spartan tuning, would I have any issues going from the Gearhead/Innovative tunes on the SCT back to the Spartan tuning with the DashDaq, and vice versa? Or should I expect issues with the stock file and what not? For the record, I know the Spartan retains the stock file during the programming process. I would like to keep that ability as well.

Thanks gents!

Happy Thanksgiving.

sootie

Reaction score
I'd like to try out some of the tunes from Gearhead and Innovative. I'm currently running Spartan though. So I've got a couple questions.

Which tuner would be the best option? H&S or SCT. I'd prefer to buy the SCT due to the price of the H&S "race" products right now. I think 1499.99 is a little crazy for an XRT Pro.

If I were to get an SCT, which PN would I need? Would either the 4015 or 3015 work?

Lastly... If I did want to go back to the Spartan tuning, would I have any issues going from the Gearhead/Innovative tunes on the SCT back to the Spartan tuning with the DashDaq, and vice versa? Or should I expect issues with the stock file and what not? For the record, I know the Spartan retains the stock file during the programming process. I would like to keep that ability as well.

Thanks gents!

Happy Thanksgiving.

H&S (recommended)

Pros:

shift on the fly power levels,
ability to set safety defuels,
supports MCC custom tunes,
does not require any sensors in the exhaust to function.
good visual display (not as good as dashdaq tho)

Cons;

price.
price for unlock code.

SCT (good bang for buck but not as nice hardware)

Pros:

price,
do not need unlock code to run custom tunes,
more ppl tune on this platform (not a concern to me, just run gearhead)

Cons:
crappy display options,
must have sensors plugged into exhaust,

if you were to fiind an SCT, you need a 9625OR or something similar that was a "Race" tuner straight from SCT-not a hacked one.

you will have no issues going back and forth between tuning platforms however H&S doesn't retain your stock file, they have a generic one.

My recommendation is H&S with Gearhead tunes and use your dashbaq to monitor all/any of them.

there is a guy selling a race SCT in the classifieds right now for a good price and i also have a black maxx for sale if you want-pm for info.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I believe there are more parameters that can be adjusted on H&S so the custom tunes will be a little better.

03silvertj

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

sootie - so SCT no longer sells the "race" version of the tuners? That would make sense as to why they are so cheap now. PM inbound.

sootie

Reaction score
sootie, your PM box is be full...:swordfight:

i've cleared out some pms so try again.

no one sells race tuners anymore-that is why the H&S is so expensive. the EPA has done a fine job on this sport.

SCT tuners are cheaper because in the main they are older and acquisition cost when they were new was lower. also ppl like the gauges and functions of the H&S more thus driving the price up.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
The big reason for the price with h&s is that it was made for all three diesel platforms and made them valuable to a lot of people whereas the older SCT was Ford 6.4 specific.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Quick question which set of the gear head trans tunes are you running with his tuning? Comes with 3 sets of trans tunes.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would guess that different tunes work best for different trucks. I run the third one but given them all a shot and see what you like best.

Sent from my I fone 5

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I'm running on hybrid right now and I like it pretty good for riding around. I was always on regular before but after the built trans the torque converter lock up was a bit much for DD-ing. Hybrid doesn't lock until 5th at like 55mph so it's nice while easing around. All three shift the same at WOT anyway so there is no difference at the track or whatever.

Latest posts

Members online