ASTM D-5275 (FISST)

ja_cain

Reaction score
Jim,

Do you guys have any data on your HD (conventional) oils from this test. I have recently seen some comparo data of various popular conventional HD oils that were tested using the above method. I think data from this test would be helpful in explaining the change in performance of the 7.3 over time as the oil is sheared. Of course the synthetics wouldn't suffer the same fate as these conventional oils as they don't usually contain significant levels of polymeric VII's. Thanks in advance to any insight/info you may be able to provide.

Justin

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I will look into it. But you are correct to a degree. The group 2 and group 1 base stocks do need more VI improvers to hit the multi vis targets they advertise. Group 3 mineral base stocks dont though because their VI is already aproaching a PAO or Synthesized Ester. Funny, I was just at the plants lab yesterday, I might be able to swing by and see the test in person...

Ill research and get back to ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Jim,

Are you guys setup to do cold box testing? My bro is getting ready to test some of his "stuff" this way and was wondering what platform to use. I told him anything with the heui would probably be good candidate since low temperature flow characteristics are important to this system. I would assume the 6.0 would be better than the 7.3 since it operates at higher pressures, but I am not real sure though. Was wondering what your thoughts were on this.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
We do both Viscosity-CCS @ -30°C, cP, ASTM D5293 and Viscosity-MRV TP-1 @ -35°C, cP, ASTM D4684 which are the industry standard for cold weather performance.

In regards to FISST, the answer I got was " our oil has never sheared in use, ever, without the presence of either fuel or coolant"... And at first I was taken a back. But to be honest, ive sampled hundreds of huei trucks, and have never seen our oil shear. Now, I have also never seen 6.0 withouta lot of fuel dilution either, and that goes for everyones oil. So theres that lol

ja_cain

Reaction score
We do both Viscosity-CCS @ -30°C, cP, ASTM D5293 and Viscosity-MRV TP-1 @ -35°C, cP, ASTM D4684 which are the industry standard for cold weather performance.

In regards to FISST, the answer I got was " our oil has never sheared in use, ever, without the presence of either fuel or coolant"... And at first I was taken a back. But to be honest, ive sampled hundreds of huei trucks, and have never seen our oil shear. Now, I have also never seen 6.0 withouta lot of fuel dilution either, and that goes for everyones oil. So theres that lol

Thanks for the info Jim! That's pretty low temp. Are you able to do whole vehicles in your cold weather performance testing?

Also, do you guys just assemble/blend other peoples components or do you guys manufacture some of the components that go into your oil? What about your soot dispersants?

Thanks again for sharing specifics about your company. Getting ready to service my ZF6 and transfer case soon and would love to run your stuff. Can't remember what you originally recommended when I asked you a while back.

Justin

Latest posts

Members online