6.0 Injector hold down tool

Derkperk

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

What specific tool are you using to tighten and remove the injector hold downs. Going to pull my injectors this winter and can’t remember the size torx or length that works best.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
SnapOn makes a specific length T40 for this job. I can get you the part number this evening.
Or you can take a generic, long T40 and cut it to the correct length.
My experience has been, that the end will break on the generic ones on about the 3rd set of injectors you torque. I’ve broken 1 SnapOn in 5 years, and there’s no telling how many injectors I torqued with it. The SnapOn one is only about $40.

Zeb

Reaction score
SnapOn part number S6340E

If you want to build your own, you need 2” of shaft below the head.

Attachments

• 64314AD1-AD0E-4F1E-8A93-0C654DD76F81.jpg
    64314AD1-AD0E-4F1E-8A93-0C654DD76F81.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 74

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
SnapOn makes a specific length T40 for this job. I can get you the part number this evening.
Or you can take a generic, long T40 and cut it to the correct length.
My experience has been, that the end will break on the generic ones on about the 3rd set of injectors you torque. I’ve broken 1 SnapOn in 5 years, and there’s no telling how many injectors I torqued with it. The SnapOn one is only about $40.
I actually found the "correct" snap on one to be a little long for use on 5 and 7, ended up buying a Mac one, and cutting it to just above the top of the injector. Its about 1/4-1/2 in shorter than the snap on one, (just guessing, never measured) and seems to work better in my opinion. Its also a 5/16 bit instead of 1/4. Ive broken a couple, but it typically wasnt from pulling injectors. A 3/8 gun or possibly a 1/2 in at times have been used on yhese sockets, as its the same size on ecoboost turbo hardware somewhere...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
I actually found the "correct" snap on one to be a little long for use on 5 and 7, ended up buying a Mac one, and cutting it to just above the top of the injector. Its about 1/4-1/2 in shorter than the snap on one, (just guessing, never measured) and seems to work better in my opinion. Its also a 5/16 bit instead of 1/4. Ive broken a couple, but it typically wasnt from pulling injectors. A 3/8 gun or possibly a 1/2 in at times have been used on yhese sockets, as its the same size on ecoboost turbo hardware somewhere...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I will agree that 5 and 7 can be a tight fit with the SnapOn.
Good to know Mac makes one also.
I have a generic one (doesn’t cost much if I don’t get it back) that I loan guys that are doing injectors. I swap it for a new one every couple sets. I just measured it and the shaft is 1.750” long and the head is very close to the top of the injector.

I can’t imagine you abusing a tool.....:hammer:

Last edited:

Derkperk

Reaction score
Some of the cheaper bits actually "twist" a little in the socket. Hard to get a true torque that way. Best to buy a quality one in this application!

Another option (expensive though):
https://www.freedomracing.com/am-s6...9ITnvGfmd-TFgPmRgZD9BQBhXhVCcbuEaAvHLEALw_wcB

That looks to be a set of t-40 and t-45.

I remember the last time I pulled my injectors, the bit I used, did twist. I tossed it after that fearing it was going to break. I never replaced it. Appears to be plenty of options out there. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
When you scroll down - At the bottom of the (linked) page are links to the individual T40 or T45

Latest posts

Members online