99-04 suspension vs. 05+ suspension driving impressions

Ncovey

Reaction score
I have an '04 King Ranch 4x4 with the leaf spring style suspension, and I have an 05 4x4 complete chassis. I am seriously considering swapping over the 05 suspension on to my 04. With that being said, here is my hesitation, I have had primarily Dodge/Cummins 4x4 trucks. They of course have the coil spring style suspension. The design is a little different than the Ford coil spring suspension, but same principle. My concern is that with the Dodges, you have to "drive" them. You are constantly making corrections. It didn't matter whether or it had all new front end parts, and a good alignment, they all drove the same. On long trips, I always felt tired of "driving" them. Does the Ford coil spring suspension suffer from the same thing or have they figured it out better than dodge? Do they drive better than the '99-04 suspension. I already know that everyone says they ride better, and turn sharper. I DO NOT WANT TO TURN THIS INTO A BRAND BASHING DISCUSSION. I want real world experience. Thanks in advance.-Nicholas

dsberman94

Reaction score
My buddies 08 superduty handled like it was on rails. Loved that thing and it took corners like a champ.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have a early 99 with a 2005 axle. Icon leveling kit, PMF 3 link. I would never go back. It does WAY better offroad. Tracks straight down the highway and I have no swaybars front or rear...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I couldn't believe the turning radius difference . The 05 is a lot better . The only reason you'd have to "drive it" is if the track bar bushings shot .

swinky

Reaction score
They turn sharper for sure. I've personally never been able to tell much of a difference in ride. If you have everything laying around I say do it.

Jomax

Reaction score
They turn sharper for sure. I've personally never been able to tell much of a difference in ride. If you have everything laying around I say do it.

There's a difference especially with icon springs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gearhead

Reaction score
Matt at Cutting Edge is doing an 08 axle swap and 08+ rear leaf swap on my 01 as we speak... Some custom parts will be mixed in like floating traction bars from PMF. The one complaint with the lifted leaf trucks has always been ride quality and lack of suspension travel to soak up bumps.

Ncovey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! I should have mentioned before, I don't plan on going much more than a leveling kit, probably by the way of new springs. I am basically looking at doing it for the bigger brakes, and wheels, not to mention, I have everything I need to do it. I just wasn't sure it would be much of an improvement over what I have now.

Layson

Reaction score
I think the biggest benefit is turning radius & the brakes. Ride improvement is marginal. It is more of a pain in the ass to get right compared to leaf springs. Plus if one little joints gets out of whack then you can get a little puckered on the freeway...

Motomez

Reaction score
I did my truck a few years ago. The newer coil setup is day and night better than the leaf spring trucks. Its an easy conversion and with the correct lift will ride better than stock. My only regret is that I should have done it sooner. It turns better it rides better and it stops better And the best part is No New Truck Payments

IdahoF350

Reaction score
I put 135k on my '05 F350 CCLB before I kicked it to the curb at auction and I've already logged 25k on my E99 F350 CCLB this year. The '05 was always "tighter" than this E99 is, and the E99 has needed ball joints and steering linkage and who cares what else replaced pretty much since the day I bought it. The '05 seemed to hold up better over the first 135k than this leaf sprung truck, which had 132k on it when I bought it a year ago.

I'm working towards this conversion on my E99 as well. The '05 didn't ride as good as the E99 stock for stock, but with 35s and the DR 4.5" lift, the '05 was sweet. The E99 is getting both axles and steering from an '05 F350 with a 6" Fabtech kit, '05 rear overload leafs, F250 blocks and a PMF 3.5" shackle flip. If I don't like the Fabtech 6" setup (got it cheap slightly used) I'll drop the coin on an Icon or Carli kit and run the 4.5" springs with a 1" spacer if needed so it sits the way I want.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Sent by my right thumb!

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
Looks like something I'd do when I get out of this ****hole the navy has put me in and I have room to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.