Cold starts

Crazysob

Reaction score
So it has been in the single digits here on minneapolis and I have been hearing different things about warming my truck. I plug it in at night on a timer so I figure I start it scrape ice and go. I can't bring myself to let it idle more than 5 min even if I'm leaving work and it's been sitting not plugged in. Am I safe in thinking that as long as I start seeing the oil pressure gauge start moving its safe to drive? I always circle the block before getting on the freeway to make sure it's got a little heat. I just don't see the point in letting it idle.

I ask because all of my neighbors seem to think they need to idle their dodges for 20 min or they will grenade...

Stroked777

Reaction score
It's a good ideal to warm it up. I do it to atleast 100 degree coolant temp. But if I don't have time or something I willtake it very easy and try not to work the motor to hard while it's cold. I may be over cautious but it's not worth it to me to risk something going bad or to risk helping something fail prematurely

ckrueg

Reaction score
The block heater gets my truck to about 90-100 so I just idle for about 2 minutes. I still take it easy until it's about 150-160.

Crazysob

Reaction score
I don't have a monitor yet so I have no way of actually seeing my ect/eot yet. Should have my exhaust and tuner installed by the end of the month though.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
My block heater heats coolant to 105 deg, I 2nd what the others said keep boost low till 150 deg or so.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I let the truck idle 10-20 mins.
Unless in a rush, won't pull out driveway till at least 90° and take it really easy till 165° best I can.

Only had to get on it once under 165° think it was about 140°
Had to move out the way real quick car flying over crest of a hill.

Crazysob

Reaction score
I have had it plugged in each night then head around the corner to get coffee, pop it into high idle for the 5 min I am in there, then drive the 5 miles to the freeway. Don't have my tuner yet (should be here by wed) so I have to go off the dash gauges. That's been my morning routine so far this winter. I still see no reason to idle for 15-20 min when it's 4* out. May as well just drive and take it easy around the block a few times.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Ill admit I just want the seats and heat to warm up a little. Lol
Plus as a rookie I figured better safe the sorry.
But know I know.

08CCSB -Rudy's delete, studs, Afe-cai, 5"MBRP, black max, 4"revtek, PMF
F/F T-bars

Latest posts

Members online