Coolant Leak Issue

imelmo

Reaction score
Cleaned the turbo and removed/re-installed the uppipe on a friends bone stock 2006 6.0. Got everything back together and went to add some coolant. There is a fairly heavy leak near the egr solenoid. You pour water in and it comes out just about 15 seconds later. It wasn't doing this before, but we didn't touch the intake or egr so not sure what is going on. Any ideas or suggestions? The leak seems to be between the intake and egr and runs down the egr to the back of the engine.

The red circle is where it seems to be coming from under the intake/on top of the egr and the blue arrow is just the direction the coolant leaks on top of the egr:

Coolant%20Leak_zpslt2yliho.jpg

Lipka101

Reaction score
Sounds like the o-ring where the egr cooler bolts to the intake is bad. Any chance you loosened or removed the bolts that hold it to the intake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

imelmo

Reaction score
Sounds like the o-ring where the egr cooler bolts to the intake is bad. Any chance you loosened or removed the bolts that hold it to the intake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking but we literally didn't touch anything in that area.

boggerr

Reaction score
Did you remove the up-pipe from the egr cooler?
If so it could be that o ring was on its way out and the little movement of the cooler finished it off

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Someone lean on that hose and now it's squriting out just above the clamp? I've seen old hoses get touched slightly and they fail just above the clamp

imelmo

Reaction score
Did you remove the up-pipe from the egr cooler?
If so it could be that o ring was on its way out and the little movement of the cooler finished it off

That's my guess as well. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else in that area to look for. He had been having to add a little bit of coolant here and there so that may be what it was.

Latest posts

Members online