Pulling motor any PM recomended?

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have confirmed I have a slight head gasket leak and I'm pulling the engine. I'm trying to get some insight with those who have done the same and what you replaced while doing so. I am going to check the heads for warping and cracks but I'm thinking other parts of the engine that need attention while its out

here's what I have so far some already done and some ordered

2005 Harley f250 auto 140k miles

truck has head studs previous owner did 1 by 1 method.
190/stock injectors
hpop fitting update
dummy plug and stand pipe update
solid turbo lines
new turbo
new oil cooler
egr ******d
4inch straight pipe
blue string upgrade
new oil rail injector o-rings

truck runs just fine ran balance test and not throwing any codes. I am going to do a compression test before putting motor in for a piece of mind to see if there's any laziness.

so far I have order a upper and lower gasket set.
(bed plate oil pan front and rear seals valve seals)

if the water pump and thermostat are ok should I replace anyways?
predictive maint. advice would be great.

thanks

ghohouston

Reaction score
Absolutely replace the lifters, and the rocker box gaskets too. It would suck to have one of those stupid rocker box gaskets leak from not replacing it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As stated, lofters, maybe a cam, be it stock or drop in. Took mine apart at about 195 and found that the cam had a very small flat spot, after replacing it. Completly missed it when i pulled it out. Wouldnt have been too long fore it chit a lifter and i wouldve been pissed.

Water pump and t stat are a good idea, as are all the hoses. Check the oil pump in the front cover really good, if any scoring in the housing, replace the front cover and oil pump.

Maybe swap the stock nozzles out for 30s or 75s and actually use the larger fuel too :poke: :D

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
As stated, lofters, maybe a cam, be it stock or drop in. Took mine apart at about 195 and found that the cam had a very small flat spot, after replacing it. Completly missed it when i pulled it out. Wouldnt have been too long fore it chit a lifter and i wouldve been pissed.

Water pump and t stat are a good idea, as are all the hoses. Check the oil pump in the front cover really good, if any scoring in the housing, replace the front cover and oil pump.

Maybe swap the stock nozzles out for 30s or 75s and actually use the larger fuel too :poke: :D

ill look at the cam Def will replace lifters then. would pushrods be a good idea as well then? are stock size dia ok or so that make a over size upgrade that's worth it? I planned to inspect front pump as I've heard some problems mostly on the zf6 trucks. on your worn cam was the cause lifters or were they still good and just normal wear? I may put the nozzle upgrade on them but talking to ********** they can tune it to empty with stick nozzles but our talking maybe a 40hp loss because its not as fast dumping is what I understand. Im on stock trans so id like to keep that alive for a couple more years.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
Absolutely replace the lifters, and the rocker box gaskets too. It would suck to have one of those stupid rocker box gaskets leak from not replacing it.

ill check out these I know of the rocker box gasket thanks for the info ill get that installed for sure. I guess I should get a service manual. I mostly look a up a reliable source for torque specs and application

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
ill look at the cam Def will replace lifters then. would pushrods be a good idea as well then? are stock size dia ok or so that make a over size upgrade that's worth it? I planned to inspect front pump as I've heard some problems mostly on the zf6 trucks. on your worn cam was the cause lifters or were they still good and just normal wear? I may put the nozzle upgrade on them but talking to ********** they can tune it to empty with stick nozzles but our talking maybe a 40hp loss because its not as fast dumping is what I understand. Im on stock trans so id like to keep that alive for a couple more years.

Honestly i didnt notice the cam until i had already tossed the lifters. Push rods and valve springs wouldnt hurt, at least if you plan on upping boost later on down the road.

I didnt think stock nozzles would empty 190s, i thought stock nozzles were done around the 155 range, but im not an injector builder or a tuner, so i could be off there.

ghostriderblk

Reaction score
Honestly i didnt notice the cam until i had already tossed the lifters. Push rods and valve springs wouldnt hurt, at least if you plan on upping boost later on down the road.

I didnt think stock nozzles would empty 190s, i thought stock nozzles were done around the 155 range, but im not an injector builder or a tuner, so i could be off there.

what cam are you using did you use stock or upgrade to a different cam?

Latest posts

Members online