Built Transmission. Who has the best?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
99.9% sure the trans is hurt. 3rd gear. It’s a 2004 with 168k miles. It’s studded ******d and tuned. What is the best transmission for the money?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Im running a twisted stage 3 with a dpc quad disk. Ran me around 6k, it is holding damn near 800 horse with no issues. I put it in after hurting the stocker at 615 for a while driving like a dick

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Im running a twisted stage 3 with a dpc quad disk. Ran me around 6k, it is holding damn near 800 horse with no issues. I put it in after hurting the stocker at 615 for a while driving like a dick

6k for everything? You do the labor yourself? Now, on a trans like that will I need a new tune?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
6k for everything? You do the labor yourself? Now, on a trans like that will I need a new tune?

Yeah, installed it myself, bought a new factory trans cooler, inline filter, and fluid on top of it. I believ the shop i bought thru bought the stuff from mike at no limit, id say give him a call. Its been in about 3yrs now. My tunes did need to be adjusted slightly for shift pressures, but i think i got by for a while just turning the pressures down with the sct.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Yeah, installed it myself, bought a new factory trans cooler, inline filter, and fluid on top of it. I believ the shop i bought thru bought the stuff from mike at no limit, id say give him a call. Its been in about 3yrs now. My tunes did need to be adjusted slightly for shift pressures, but i think i got by for a while just turning the pressures down with the sct.

Ok, 6k for all those parts as well?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No, the fluid, filter, and cooler were a few hundred more, but i work at ford and get a deal on parts, so the price on those will vary. It was 6k for trans and converter only.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Ok thanks buddy I will look into this. I’m open to other brands and options as well.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I have one for sale in the classifieds. It's not cheap but it is one of the best built 5r's out there.

Peanut450

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, I’ve narrowed it down to twisted diesel or warren diesel if I decide to put a built unit in it. Will know more next week.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Pff...

Go local and with a good warranty.

I'd rather have to warranty it out every other year then send it out 3 states over and down the truck for weeks/months

Peanut450

Reaction score
I don’t have anyone local that is good with trans from what I’ve heard. I had my 4r100 rebuilt local by a “good transmission “ guy several years ago and he did me wrong so I’d prefer to just ship one in and slap it in. My situation is different as I have a work truck so my truck can sit and be out of commission without causing a issue.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Holder down did my bulletproof work. Very happy with them. I know they have some built trans options and the prices look good. Anybody used there transmission?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Bumping this up because I’m not sure if the trans is hurt? Couple observations.

Is there a solenoid or a sensor that will cause the trans to not shift? Randomly it will struggle to shift to 3 or 4 all other times it runs amazing and shifts perfect even at WOT. When it doesn’t shift I pull over turn the truck off and restart it and it’s fine? Super weird.

It has started a whining noise when I accelerate but also does the same whine in Park or neutral when I rev the engine??

Gas mileage has plummeted. Get about 100-150 less miles a tank but I may have a bad IPR valve because it has started a surging issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zeb

Reaction score
Drop in fuel mileage and “whining” noise could easily be the bellows on the up pipes leaking. What sort of surge are you talking about? Turbo surge or fluctuations in rpm?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Is the only way to fix that is to get new up pipes? I did have a coupler blow off the other day and noticed it was ripped. But it holds 33psi at WOT. The surge is a serious rpm surge. It’s super annoying whole truck jumps and it already sounds like an airplane so everyone thinks I’m trying to race.