Guys that have done SD springs with rsk on front.

chaselee

Reaction score
Ok fellas, I'm sick and tired of not being able to drive down the road without spilling my drink all over the place. I've ran across a 2003 SD that has V code fronts and P code rears with all bolts and shackles for $200.

I drove a buddy's 2000 model the other night and it rides night and day better than my truck but it's stock height. This is what really made my mind up to do this.

Question for you guys that have done this. Is it really that much better, for the work and money spent on everything? I know people say that the rsk with SD springs is quite a bit better, but I've not heard too many testimonials of people doing rears as well. So what do you guys say?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Rears make almost as much difference I’d not more than the front.

P codes are very close to the same as B codes iirc.

Yes I be done the Sd spring swap front and rear with rsk. It is very noticeable.

chaselee

Reaction score
Good to hear. I just figured I would do both at the same time. I didn't want a good ride in the front and a Chuck wagon ride in the rear.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I went from a lift that rode like absolute garbage on my old obs to an 05+ coil spring conversion and SD b-code rear springs. It was 1,000% better! Then installed an rsk with SD v-codes in front. The rsk setup was about 750% better than the original lifted buck board ride.

chaselee

Reaction score
I went from a lift that rode like absolute garbage on my old obs to an 05+ coil spring conversion and SD b-code rear springs. It was 1,000% better! Then installed an rsk with SD v-codes in front. The rsk setup was about 750% better than the original lifted buck board ride.

I'll take 750% all day long! My understanding is the rears just bolt right up. Is that correct?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I don't think the Velvet Shackles are made any more.

In order to swap in rear SD Springs:
- Drill out front spring hanger
- Either trim one of the leafs and enlarge the spring bolt on the OBS spring shackle or use the SD shackle and grind it down to fit the frame hanger.

or

Get the rear SKY shackles made for SD springs---> https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/ford-78-97-rear-suspension/products/ford-sdbs-001

Here's my truck using the stock stuff.

P6260030.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
Alright fellers! I went and picked up the 2003 SD springs, shackles and all bolts the other day for $200 from a wrecking yard. Now I just need to figure out which RSK I want to go with. PMF and SKY both look like quality kits, but I need to call both and figure out which is for sure going to work with my intercooler. Its a 7.3 SD intercooler btw.

Also, I got the front u bolts just in case. Will I need to use them to bolt up the SD front springs or will my OBS front u bolts work. Obviously this can all be figured out once shes all apart. Im just trying to get a feel for what all needs to be done. Thanks guys! And if you guys can shed light on which rsk is better and why...that would be helpful too.:toast:

JCart

Reaction score
Son and I did RSKs this last winter spring. His Sky mine PMF, both great kits. PMF is better as it’s a nicer fit, has saddles that cradles the frame rails also get the receiver hitch option and tow loops too. I’ve also done SD rears on my 97 CCSB Dana 60 Truck. I used think they where B codes from an 03 SD. The overloads are on the bottom of the spring pack. On the topside I installed air bags. Front and rear anti sways and you’ll be carving the corners with big smiles.

My current tan white tan with PMF, I’m looking into 08+ rear SD springs. It’s my understanding they are 8” longer than the older SDs. Use stock rear hanger and move front forward, ride is supposed to be even better, I’d do it with air bags too so I’m always level.

Worth the effort and money... if you plan on keeping it, want a nice riding, great handling rig... totally. Also budget for the Borgeson mid steering shaft and better steering box Red to Blue top and you’ll be cheering large.
j

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
Son and I did RSKs this last winter spring. His Sky mine PMF, both great kits. PMF is better as it’s a nicer fit, has saddles that cradles the frame rails also get the receiver hitch option and tow loops too. I’ve also done SD rears on my 97 CCSB Dana 60 Truck. I used think they where B codes from an 03 SD. The overloads are on the bottom of the spring pack. On the topside I installed air bags. Front and rear anti sways and you’ll be carving the corners with big smiles.

My current tan white tan with PMF, I’m looking into 08+ rear SD springs. It’s my understanding they are 8” longer than the older SDs. Use stock rear hanger and move front forward, ride is supposed to be even better, I’d do it with air bags too so I’m always level.

Worth the effort and money... if you plan on keeping it, want a nice riding, great handling rig... totally. Also budget for the Borgeson mid steering shaft and better steering box Red to Blue top and you’ll be cheering large.
j

Thank you for the input. Always wondered why the sky kit involves a back hanger on the front where the pmf does not. And my understanding is that the pmf is a full bolt on kit, which is big in my book. My truck is a did, so whatever I do, it has to be back together the same day.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Here is my SKY kit. It was done back when the RSK with SD springs were getting popular. Also, had SKY lower the cross bar to clear the IC. The IC in the truck is an all aluminum 7.3 IC.

P5230117.jpg

P5230111.jpg

1340277422036.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking. What is all involved in Installing the hangers for the front shackles? Do they bolt up into existing holes, or is there a hanger there already that you have to grind rivets off of and all that. I've never noticed to be honest. Thanks.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
On the OBS trucks, the shackle is in the front and the rear mount is fixed. The Reverse Shackle Kits, hence the name move the shackle to the rear.

Now, the center pin on the OBS leaf packs are not centered. Couple the off center pin with the shackle up front, gave the OBS trucks a rougher ride compared to the SD trucks.

So the popular mod was moving the crossbar forward a few inches, forgot the exact distance and install SD springs. The SD springs have a centered pin and are longer hence the reason for moving the crossbar forward which puts the axle in the stock location.

The early RSK were made to utilize the OBS spring pack and just flip the shackles. Yes, they are bolt on. Since the majority doing this mod are using SD springs, the manufacturers came out a crossbar that bolts in the stock location and the front spring mount was extended.

Back in the day, you either had to rotate the crossbar forward which place stress points at different locations that the mount was designed for, space the bumper out or cut the bumper.

There are no rivets up front. The rivets are used to fasten the rear mount to the frame.

There is a lot of debate over the angle of the shackle. You can read up on the theories on PMF's and Sky's website and make your own determination. I have my RSK in for over 150K miles and towed regularly 22k.

Anymore questions, just ask or PM me for my cell.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.