7.3 swap into a 2006 6.0l

steve604

Reaction score
The firewall is pushed back on my '06 1.5"-2" compared to my '03. The 7.3 has lots of room for access to the back valve cover bolts now.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. It does seam like their is more room at the back on a later built 6.0 vs an early build. Always thought they were the same, maybe they are different. Too bad the 05 cab is probably a pop can by now!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Okay that helps. Thanks.

I thought the cabs were the same from 99-2007? If i ever get around to it, plan is to put an 02 body/wiring/engine/trans on an 05 frame. 05 body is gone.

They are all basically the same, but there are some slight differences. Things that are easy to modify.

We usually splice in a small piece of the 7.3 firewall where the PCM goes through because the 6.0 wiring harness changed how it enters the cab.

02 harness has a hole in the floorboard to the left of the drivers seat where the harness goes through.

They did away with the hole for the gas trucks throttle cable in 05. Small things like that.

We also usually put the 7.3 heater core over in the 6.0 box because the heater hoses are a different diameter.

Some of these changes also vary between cab configs.

sjl1966

Reaction score
Good stuff co04cobra pretty covered it all , i have a 2006 f350 4x4 auto trans. 6lt powerstroke

Bought a complete E 450 1989 7.3 lt powerstroke 2 wheel drive , auto trans .

what will I need to swap ? if possible .

Dont trust that 6lt any more

steve604

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of finishing up my swap.

The fact that you don't have a complete equivalent truck to work with is going to make it slightly difficult. Wiring will be a nightmare if you're going to try to make everything work.

The only wiring I reused in the '06 was the cab wiring and from the front of the fuel tank to the back. I changed the dash harness and underhood harness to the one from my 7.3. Even splicing the '06 cab harness to the '03 harness was a bit of a nightmare that I know will come back to me as soon as I hook the batteries up.

Powerjokearmy

Reaction score
I just bolted it into the '06 last week. I used the 6.0 crosmember. The 4r100 is about 1.5" longer than the 5r110 so the crossmember moves back to a different set of holes already in the frame.

The 6.0 firewall is pushed back about 1.5" so there is a lot more space behind the engine now. It will be much easier to work on.
Did the 7.3 bolt right up to the 6.0 engine mounts or did they have to be moved

DaKodaHigh

Reaction score
I've done several. Very few things interchange. You can use either set of axles, and leave the 05 dash but you have to pull it to put the 7.3 harness behind it. You will need a 4r100 from a 7.3 or 7.3 zf6.

You could use the 6.0 I/C but its not really any better then the 7.3. Nut shell is strip ALL wiring from 6.0 truck then start bringing the 7.3 stuff over and bolting it up. Almost everything bolts up mainly time consuming.
Wondering if I could call you for some pointers on the 7.3 into a 2005? Got an auto reply email from snding one to you through your website. Just trying to be courteous. Thanks.

Dmueller

Reaction score
I originally posted this on the wrong thread, so I'm sorry if you're seeing this twice.

So, I've been looking and looking for a 99-03 7.3 SCREW cab to replace the rusted out one on my 01. After reading a lot of different things all over the interwebs, I'm a little confused. My thinking right now is that I could definitely use the 07 cab that I found, along with the 07 dash so long as I use all of the wiring harnesses from the 01, but I will have to swap the plug for the headlight switch, and maybe have to patch a piece into the firewall where the PCM passes through. Otherwise, everything should bolt up and transfer easily. Is my thinking on track or have I missed something? The cab I found has a decent interior, so that would be a decent 6 year upgrade. I also found an 02 cab, but would have to transfer my interior over. I just need to make a decision.

Thanks for any input

Rgarcia78744

Reaction score
I've done several. Very few things interchange. You can use either set of axles, and leave the 05 dash but you have to pull it to put the 7.3 harness behind it. You will need a 4r100 from a 7.3 or 7.3 zf6.

You could use the 6.0 I/C but its not really any better then the 7.3. Nut shell is strip ALL wiring from 6.0 truck then start bringing the 7.3 stuff over and bolting it up. Almost everything bolts up mainly time consuming.

Latest posts

Members online