Went to get new tires

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Went to get tires yesterday at Discount Tire. Wanted Toyo RT's in 35x12.50x20 for the stock wheels. Said wheel is to narrow and truck too heavy. Called another tire dealership and he wouldn't do it either.
I guess they're all scared of a lawsuit. Nitto has a 295 65 and a 35 11.50. Maybe one of those will work. Any concerns with Nitto? The '99 has RT's 35 12.50 on it.

btoler4th

Reaction score
Noticed you're in NC. - The discount tire I used to go to from time to time outside of Raleigh pulled the same crap, different tires. I believe it's a national policy, either way it's ridiculous. I'm a decent fan of the R/T, two sets already this year on my 17 250 work truck. Weatherguard tool boxes and drag tank doesn't help their life. We go through Colony tire with all our crew trucks, and they'll slap whatever tire you want on.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Trails don't for sure, terras are a little better but not much.

Dura Grapplers are the only nitto tire I have personally used and have held up great. I had 45k on my last set when I sold them and they werent even half worn out the set I currently have has 10k and on them and they still look new. I bought some BF Goodrich All Terrain's for my new wheels. I have never ran them before but they were the only tire my dad ran for 20+ years so I hope they do good.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Dura Grapplers are the only nitto tire I have personally used and have held up great. I had 45k on my last set when I sold them and they werent even half worn out the set I currently have has 10k and on them and they still look new. I bought some BF Goodrich All Terrain's for my new wheels. I have never ran them before but they were the only tire my dad ran for 20+ years so I hope they do good.

They throw stones like you wouldn’t believe but they’re not a bad tire.

JRLott

Reaction score
There are quality options for the 295/65R20...not a bunch, but quality. Toyo AT and MT, Nitto, Cooper, and Michelin are a few. The Toyo AT and Michelin are probably less agressive than you seek while the Toyo MT and Cooper STT Pro more agressive. The LT tires carry much heavier load ratings than the 35 12.50s. The 35 12.50 Cooper SST Pro has a bit over a 3000 pound rating at 65 psi while the 295/65R20 is over 4000 at 80. I had new tires put on Saturday. Just had one swapped from a 35 to the 295 this morning because Discount screwed up. Even after I knew, I could hardly tell the difference in size.

doo dah

Reaction score
I have Nitto Terra G2s on mine with over 50k miles. I didn't rotate properly so the rears are worn out from hauling so much. I am getting 295/65/20 G2s soon. I was looking at Coopers but I have had such good luck and long tread life with the 6 sets of Nittos I've had that I can't bring myself to buy another brand for my truck. They are 10 ply with a load rating of 129 so Discount will put them on my F350. They wouldn't put 35s on mine either because lowest rating they will do is 126 (I think) for one tons. I had Atturos in 35x12.50 I bought from a wheel dealer that were 125 rating I think and they wore very fast. I took them off my truck and put them on my son's 1/2 ton and they went another 30k miles so there may be some truth in that load rating.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm in the market for new tires also. Want something that isn't going to get real noisy as they wear. I've heard the KO2's remain pretty quiet over the life of the tire. I can get them for $99 a tire in a 285-75 R16. I was also looking at the Cooper STT, but have read they get noisy as they wear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
The KO2s will throw stones like an Election Day riot. So if you’re worried about that and drive on anything other than smooth paved roads I’d steer clear. Just a heads up.

Toyo at 2s don’t get loud with proper rotation, just don’t get grip on wet grass either.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There are quality options for the 295/65R20...not a bunch, but quality. Toyo AT and MT, Nitto, Cooper, and Michelin are a few. The Toyo AT and Michelin are probably less agressive than you seek while the Toyo MT and Cooper STT Pro more agressive. The LT tires carry much heavier load ratings than the 35 12.50s. The 35 12.50 Cooper SST Pro has a bit over a 3000 pound rating at 65 psi while the 295/65R20 is over 4000 at 80. I had new tires put on Saturday. Just had one swapped from a 35 to the 295 this morning because Discount screwed up. Even after I knew, I could hardly tell the difference in size.
Dont forget the mastercraft cxt tires.. cheaper then coopers and have the same rating. I have 295 70 18s and have abused them for over 20k miles and there is well over half tread left yet. Not very loud at either.

live life full throttle

PDT1081

Reaction score
Dont forget the mastercraft cxt tires.. cheaper then coopers and have the same rating. I have 295 70 18s and have abused them for over 20k miles and there is well over half tread left yet. Not very loud at either.

live life full throttle

I've been getting 55k-60k miles out of the AXTs, so they are not an inferior tire brand.