Cummins swap

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
Just rollling the idea around right now but I have a few questions about doing a cummins swap. I know the easiest way to do this is just buy a truck and use it a donor and thats what Ill do if I decide to go this route. Whats the best transmission option? I have a BD stage 4 transmission. Would it be better to just scrap the trans and go to a 47RE or leave the E4OD? Besides the price of the truck and engine itself how much does the average conversion cost?

shorty2tall

Reaction score
I've thought about this before also haven't ever decided no yet buy think I'm gonna stay 7.3 for now.
But I'm sure the guys will ask which engine do u want 12v, 24v, or CR?

Patrick

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
havent decided yet, a friends dad has a wrecked 99 24 valve sitting that ive asked about buying a few times, but most likely a 12 valve

Trapper

Reaction score
Just do it. Find a good 215 pump motor. You can do a lot of tuning and at least make 400 HP with valve and gov springs and torque the head bolts down.

Dslfumes

Reaction score
A 12V with either a ZF5 or 6 is your easiest option but still not something you'd want to tackle if you've only ever changed your own oil. As far as cost wise things can get out of hand fast once you buy adapters, sending out the P pump to be worked over, injectors yada yada yada. Just take it slow and be meticulous if you want a factory finished look.

Countryboy07

Reaction score
12V's are by far easier to swap in, but are getting harder and harder to buy at a reasonable price. P-pumped 24V would be another option, but got to find one that is a non 53 block. I'm doing the swap on my '97 CCLB truck, and so far I have just over $8000 into it, that includes buying both the '97 and my '94 Dodge donor truck, motor mounts, and some small things. As stated, the cost adds up rather quickly, but finding a good donor truck is a great way to get started.

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
A 12V with either a ZF5 or 6 is your easiest option but still not something you'd want to tackle if you've only ever changed your own oil. As far as cost wise things can get out of hand fast once you buy adapters, sending out the P pump to be worked over, injectors yada yada yada. Just take it slow and be meticulous if you want a factory finished look.
If I wanted to stick with an auto which trans would be the better one in the long run to go with, 47RE or E4OD? Considering the price for a built auto, price to swich to a 47RE, which will be a better set up in the long run with a built engine.

Just do it. Find a good 215 pump motor. You can do a lot of tuning and at least make 400 HP with valve and gov springs and torque the head bolts down.
215 pump motor?

12V's are by far easier to swap in, but are getting harder and harder to buy at a reasonable price. P-pumped 24V would be another option, but got to find one that is a non 53 block. I'm doing the swap on my '97 CCLB truck, and so far I have just over $8000 into it, that includes buying both the '97 and my '94 Dodge donor truck, motor mounts, and some small things. As stated, the cost adds up rather quickly, but finding a good donor truck is a great way to get started.

Whats a 53 block?

not enoughsmoke

Reaction score
If I wanted to stick with an auto which trans would be the better one in the long run to go with, 47RE or E4OD? Considering the price for a built auto, price to swich to a 47RE, which will be a better set up in the long run with a built engine.

215 pump motor?

Whats a 53 block?
I did my conversion and wanted to keep custom parts to a min i am running a 47RH trans with a dodge 241 dld transfer case and only had a bastard joint
i would suggest a 47re or 48re with a stanalone valvebody for running a good bit of power through

1996-1998 dodge manual trans trucks they had a 215 injector pump

99-2001 53 blocks were know for cracking passenger side due from a bad casting

Last edited:

Matt_P

Reaction score
It gets very expensive and will be very time consuming if you dont want to half ass it. Yes buy a donor truck, itll make life a whole lot easier. Be sure to take your time and do plenty of research

Trapper

Reaction score
A 24v would be cool. I know a guy over in CompD that put one in a Regal. It's nice and fast. I figure mine would be easy. Since I have a stick.
468c3e25-6caa-2bfd.jpg
. But this is what I really want.
468c3e25-6cc6-bcd6.jpg

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
It gets very expensive and will be very time consuming if you dont want to half ass it. Yes buy a donor truck, itll make life a whole lot easier. Be sure to take your time and do plenty of research

You just finished a p-pumped 24v conversion in an 03 king ranch didnt you?

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
I did my conversion and wanted to keep custom parts to a min i am running a 47RH trans with a dodge 241 dld transfer case and only had a bastard joint
i would suggest a 47re or 48re with a stanalone valvebody for running a good bit of power through

1996-1998 dodge manual trans trucks they had a 215 injector pump

99-2001 53 blocks were know for cracking passenger side due from a bad casting

Thanks for the info and advice.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
4r case swap your e4od internals. Put it on a PCS and run a stock 12v engine until you can afford mods. Shouldn't be expensive and you can part out your 7.3 to help offset the cost a little. Otherwise I suggest buying a revolver from a pawn shop and one bullet from wal Mart.....

jkidd_39

Reaction score
It's a big project and very expensive.. My project is currently a rolling chassis.. and I don't have my cummins built yet and I'm prob 6k deep.

I will have about 30k in the project once it's all said and done. But I built it with my own hands... that was my motivation. There are quite a few shops close to you that could do the convo for reasonable.. autoworld and ford cummins are both in Montana

Matt_P

Reaction score
Yeah the thing with me too was that i wanted to say I built it myself as well and with some help from friends. If thats what youd like to be able to say as well just prepare for a good amount of downtime on your truck, I thought I would have mine done in a month... that was 6 months ago

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.