Fummins Swap

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Alright i have been thinking lately about swapping in a cummins into my 89 F350 that already has a 97 7.3 with a E40D , now i have a couple questions as to what is the best year motor for Reliability Mainly? Will it bolt up to a E40D with the right adapter plate? and what would be the total cost to do something like this?

Fordguy100

Reaction score
All year cummins will bolt up to a E4OD with the proper adapter plate. The most reliable will probably be the lowest HP cummins, so either a VE (89-93) or a P-pumped (94-98), 12 valve.

I would budget at least a few thousand. Really it can spike up to $5K pretty easy. I've seen guys claim it only cost them $500 after selling off all of the takeoff parts, most guys say a few grand minimum.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
When i do it i would like to use my E40D , it is stock of course and the cummins will remain stock also , it will be used as a DD and a tower , the max weight this thing will see is around 6K , no more then that , i have been told and for personal preference to look for a p pumped 12 valve , my biggest worry with the swap is the electrical part?

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Engine mounts. Either fab up your own or maybe destroked has some, maybe not for an 89 though

ah forgot about those , i have heard good things about destroked , have ehard bad things about fordcummins , i have emailed destroked about the swap and they say they dont have a kit for a 89 , i have no problem fabbing stuff up

jngreen

Reaction score
I would think the 89 frame would be almost exactly the same as a 93 or newer. This is why your 7.3 bolted in so easily, assuming you used factory motor mounts for it.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I would think the 89 frame would be almost exactly the same as a 93 or newer. This is why your 7.3 bolted in so easily, assuming you used factory motor mounts for it.

i am not sure what mounts were used in it , i know slots were cut out of thee cross member and new ones welded in , unless they are all done like that

jngreen

Reaction score
i am not sure what mounts were used in it , i know slots were cut out of thee cross member and new ones welded in , unless they are all done like that

ok, disregard my post then. I assumed you did the powerstroke swap in the first place. I'm not really sure what the differences are between frames, but it sounds like what you have is not factory.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
ok, disregard my post then. I assumed you did the powerstroke swap in the first place. I'm not really sure what the differences are between frames, but it sounds like what you have is not factory.

no i did not do the swap , maybe they were modified just a bit to fit the motor , i know there will be a lot of fab work to be done to add the new mounts , onto another question , is a stock E40D gonna be ok behind the cummins?

jngreen

Reaction score
no i did not do the swap , maybe they were modified just a bit to fit the motor , i know there will be a lot of fab work to be done to add the new mounts , onto another question , is a stock E40D gonna be ok behind the cummins?

I would assume so, but you will have the additional cost of a transmission controller, unless you can put ford sensors into the cummins and try to use the ford computer for a transmission controller. I have not heard of many going that route though.

The only other concern about the stock E4OD would be the torque converter. It might be a little "loose" for the cummins, but I'm not an expert.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I would assume so, but you will have the additional cost of a transmission controller, unless you can put ford sensors into the cummins and try to use the ford computer for a transmission controller. I have not heard of many going that route though.

The only other concern about the stock E4OD would be the torque converter. It might be a little "loose" for the cummins, but I'm not an expert.

hmm i didn't think of that , can anyone else chime in on this?

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Frames are the same between OBS and bricknose/slantnose

Edit*** Phone didn't show previous post went through

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
now on another note , why is the 94-97 years so sought after? besides building power with , are there problems the earlier years have that the 94-97's have? i can find decent deals on earlier model engines ,

Latest posts

Members online