6.4 in a 06 f250

06 f250 man

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a wrecked 09 6.4 lariat. It was tboned right after the cab and ins totaled it out. I have always liked the interior and front clip on the newer trucks and was thinking about buying from my buddy if he decides that's the route he wants to go. Now I was also wanting to see if anyone hasput a 6.4 in a 6.0 yet? It is a stock motor with 80k on it and still fires up just fine after accident. I'm seeing the kinda numbers numbers the 6.4 is putting down with just a tune. I know I'm gonna get the guys that argue the 6.0 is a better motor if all the upgrades are done. But I still haven't done the studs on my 6.0 and I'm not planning on it until the they let go. I know the 6.4 has issues also but it seems their heads aren't prone to let go like the 6.0. My 6.0 has 190k on it and runs just fine still. If I did pull the trigger on this project I will be selling a lot of stuff off my truck. But the big question is the engine swap. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Can it be done... Yes.

Is it cost effective... No.

It all comes down to why you want to do it. It will be cheaper on your wallet and less down time to bullet proof your 6.0 than to do the swap. Hell I can almost guarantee it would be cheaper to sell your truck and just buy a 6.4.

If you do not have months of time to work on it and don't mind the frustration of making everything fit custom then go for it. Def will be one of a kind once your done.

06 f250 man

Reaction score
The full interior swap with dash and all components are very sweet. But to make that whole dash work properly I was thinking it needs the engine to make sure all gauges and computer system function proper.

matt92idi

Reaction score
Swamps also did a 6.4 swap in a 04. There is a piece about it in one of the diesel power magazines

golfer

Reaction score
Swamps also did a 6.4 swap in a 04. There is a piece about it in one of the diesel power magazines

it was actually swapped into my early 99 model.

but if the OP has the entire engine/chassis/wiring/computers/modules...it'll be a snap...

swinky

Reaction score
I don't see the point but it can be done. Would really suck if that 6.4 cracks a piston or loses the hpfp after the swap.

Poglife

Reaction score
6.0 is cheaper to maintain. With a 6.4 you have to wonder when your hpfp is going to go out rods bending, piston cracking , head gaskets . Yes it's possible to swap them just not cost effective

Towerguy

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the only legal way to delete your DPF, drop the motor in a model year truck that is not legally required to be equipped with DPF.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I do these type of swaps. Opinions on them are like assholes, everybody's got one.

Regardless, what smog station would be smart enough to pick up that it's a 08 engine, and not a 06?

I luckily don't have to deal with any of that BS in good ol WV. :lol:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I do these type of swaps. Opinions on them are like assholes, everybody's got one.

Regardless, what smog station would be smart enough to pick up that it's a 08 engine, and not a 06?

I luckily don't have to deal with any of that BS in good ol WV. :lol:

it wouldn't be a problem in TX either... for now...

but by the letter of the law, it would be illegal

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.