Swapping HPFP Gear?

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Hey guys in the middle of replacing the HPFP on my '08 F250 with the cab on.
Finally pulled the old pump out yesterday but I was reading the manual and it says to swap the gear onto the new pump but not to torque it until its already bolted back in place. Just wanted to confirm this since it sounded weird to me. Also is the snap on FRDHM15 the only tool that can be used?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have torqued one with it in place and several dozen on the bench... Just do it on the bench

vettebyrd

Reaction score
59lb ft correct?
Appreciate it! Just waiting on this before I can start putting everything back together.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I torque all mine on the bench as well. It is a major pain in the ass to try and do installed, let alone with the cab on. Nothing really fits between the bolt and rear cover.

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Any reason why the ford manual says to torque it after it’s bolted down? Just curious. I’ve got mine torqued and ready to put back in-not that I’m looking forward to it all.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I think its so you use the motor to hold the gear instead of shoving something thru the gear and holding it against the pump body.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Pff. I use either brass jaws in the vice or pry bar through the gear into hole in pump

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Makes sense. I just used vice grips to hold it in place. It’s back in as of now. Now I get to put the rest together. Already swapped the injectors plus new fuel lines. Still have to clean the tank and install the new lift pump. I also bought a bleeder kit since I hear it’s a pain to get all the air out.

vettebyrd

Reaction score
Did you have a fuel system failure?

Yes. Had it towed to a local Ford dealer where they probably did more harm then good. They replaced the HPFP but didn't replace anything else and the injectors started hanging open. Had it towed back to my place where she sat for over a year. Glad to finally be knocking this all out so I can get rid of it the moment it starts up.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ah... Did you backflush the heads with the old injectors in place before you removed them?

Did you replace things like the low PSI fuel, rails, fuel cooler, etc...?

vettebyrd

Reaction score
No I did not. What exactly is needed?
Did a search and came across a thread under your screenname where you mentioned a complete fuel system being ruined 3 times. What was the outcome to all of this?
I've got a new fuel cooler and lift pump as well as lines. Can the rails not be blown out with air?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I was being given after market injectors that we're allowing air back through the system. Ruined it in minutes.

When a fuel system fails, there are thousands of microscopic pieces that shave off the pump and get everywhere.

The purpose of backflushing the heads with old injectors is to clean the ports in the heads of that metal. search 6.4 fuel system failure guide, it will tell you every that can be cleaned and what needs to be replaced.

Since you already have new one in, you might be ok but I would still flush it. I flush fuel from the return fitting on forward, remove the rear fuel ports on the heads.

But fuel cooler, pumps, rails, sensors, those basically are replaced.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Those fall under the replace category. I'd hate to have some embedded metal flake off and stick an injector

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, replace the rails. There is a kit for with contamination that is rals only, no jumper fuel lines. If i remember right, its fairly cheap as well.

vettebyrd

Reaction score
I’ve done a search and can not find a kit for the 6.4-although there is a lot for the 6.7. Any vendors happen to sell this kit?
If not I think it’ll be cheaper to buy upgraded rails from River City Diesel for $100 after core charge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online