zf5 to 4r100

pullandpray

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of dumping a auto in my obs. I'm just trying to figure out costs. one major part of the swap is the pcm. Is my best bet to go with an auto pcm or just get a simple shift pcs controller? Will my transfer case bolt up to it? Also are the driveshafts different?

ghohouston

Reaction score
4r100.. It came with the 99-02 why would it be alot more work than a e40d

Let's clarify real quick, because you have a bit of a quandary posted. Is this for an obs or a super duty? Zf5's and e40d's came in the obs 7.3 trucks (94.5-97). Zf6's and 4r100's came in super duty 7.3's (1999-2003.5).

JD3020

Reaction score
FWIW, E4's and 4R's are damn near identical transmissions. I wanna say the only difference is in the solenoids, and a 4r has an output shaft sensors which a E4 doesn't.

isootmypants

Reaction score
FWIW, E4's and 4R's are damn near identical transmissions. I wanna say the only difference is in the solenoids, and a 4r has an output shaft sensors which a E4 doesn't.

Yea. And the e40d harness doesn't have those clips that the 4r harness does. So swapping a trans into an obs manual requires 4r harness, pcs or compatible 4r computer, driveshaft, and tcase I think

pullandpray

Reaction score
Yes it's for a obs truck my truck is a zf5. I was reading the 4r100 can shift faster and is a stronger trans than the e40. If I have to get a controller anyway why not go with a 4r100? Honestly I have no idea if any of that's true. I do know the 4r100 can take a lot of abuse, I don't have any experience with an e40d

ghohouston

Reaction score
That's what I was getting at. If it was me, I'd just find a donor truck and swap over all necessary part. You could even setup the donor truck with that turd zf5, and sell it. Either way you decide to go, get the trans built by a reputable shop like bts, twisted diesel, or punisher. If it were me, I'd just swap in an e40d. They can be built just as strong as a 4r100, as stated, theyre basically the same. I've done some research on putting a 4r100 in an obs, and it's a good little bit of work.

pullandpray

Reaction score
I wouldn't call a zf5 a turd lol, I just have a baby on the way the lady can't drive a stick and honestly having a 600hp 7.3 stick is a tad of a pain to drive. It keeps your left leg big tho ha

pullandpray

Reaction score
Lol I was waiting for you to chime in. It's like a 50/50 right now. If I do it I'm keeping all the manual parts

co04cobra

Reaction score
At least you don't have to cut the floor out like on the SDs. I actually have a parts auto obs truck in my yard that should have the pcm, harness, etc.. if you insist on doing it.

I've got a few core E4s too that would be perfect to send to BTS to get built.

old man dave

Reaction score
You can PM Mr. Big Oil (Terminator) since he has done the OBS E4OD to 4R100 swap. He manly wanted the better SD PCM for tuning purposes but that also allowed him to use the 4R100. He repinned the PCM plug to work with the SD PCM.

I believe most of the HD aftermarket 4R100 parts are also used in the modded E4OD.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd go standalone pcs before id swap pcm's and harnesses whether it be e4od or a 4r100. Plus when you want to swap back later you aren't having to swap everything back. Just unplug the harness and go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

pullandpray

Reaction score
Yea if I go an auto I will go the stand alone I have heard to good of reviews not to. Besides with chip reburn and everything evolved with a pcm swap I bet there isn't much difference in price. Still reading on a 4r100 vs a e40d.

co04cobra

Reaction score
You're going to need a BTS version of either one to handle your power. I'd call and ask him which one he'd suggest.

pullandpray

Reaction score
Bringing this back up. So I will need a auto column for sure, what about the brake assembly? I forget if the clutch perch is separated or not. And I have read mixed reviews on it the cluster will work or not. Some say the p.r.n.d.2.1 is just covered up others say manuals don't have that in the cluster

Latest posts

Members online