Tips to loosen fan?

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
I’m having trouble loosening the fan to remove it to access the water pump. I’ve watched DTR, but don’t have an air hammer. I’ve seen a number of other vids which all use the trick of working with the belt on and placing something long into the hole on the fan pulley.

I’m seeing 2 things which seem to differ from the vids for me. 1) I’ve got a Banks High-Ram in the way so I can’t go straight down. 2) the cover with the slits in it turns when I turn the fan, and I can’t seem to find a way to slide something into it and force it to stop—what exactly is it supposed to be catching on?

Any tips? I’ve already got the air filter, shroud, and radiator out. I’ve also removed the bolts on the diffuser/rear shroud so I can pull it right next to the fan.

Thanks!

3960426037e426c79b1f0d1078a6442d.jpg

0d3cd97eb06e8070e8a8c690e3803664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
I used a round pry bar in the holes of the pulley, but bent it a bit trying to hold it solid enough to "SHOCK" the wrench I had on the nut.
If I remember correctly, I think I had a helper pull tight on the belt tensioner with a breaker bar, and wedged the pry bar against something, along with using a 10mm long wrench on the bolts of the pulley itself. Just be careful not to over tighten them...but it worked good.
Just remember, the nut comes lose easier when you "SHOCK" the wrench with a hammer.

Good luck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Chisel and hammer works also. Line it up on one of the corners and angle it in the direction you want to turn it and hit it.

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
All good advice. But I'd bet money you will have that fan off more than once in your ownership, and to me, that is well worth buying an air hammer and fan clutch wrench. Iirc its 47mm. You're talking having the fan off in under a minute, vs fighting it for God knows how long.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^Whs. Especially on a dual alternator truck, the air hammer is much easier than any of the other ways..,

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You can rent/borrow the tool from local parts stores.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I have the special fan clutch wrench, but if it’s not handy at the moment, I’ll just put a long open end wrench on it and hit it with a hammer. It’s breaks loose real easy.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
I’ve had my fan off 3-4 times in just over a year. I bent a few punches and was hitting a wrench with a hammer but after another guy in the shop let me borrow his air hammer I won’t go back.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
Well, I tried the air hammer thing and got a bunch of impact marks in the nut. I worry that there’s just way too much rust in there. The pulley directly below has a bunch or rust, and the undercarriage has a ton of rust. I’ve also tried a crescent wrench and a sledge hammer. Nothing seems to break it loose so far. I haven’t ordered the wrench set from Amazon linked above since it’s over $100...does the air hammer and chisel normally tear up the edge like that? Or does it usually give and turn before then?

Should I be looking to see if something else is broken on the assembly?

542e73ac5a51ea2e4b29645996162dea.jpg

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
Maybe. I don’t mind hitting it hard; I just don’t know how to tell the difference between what’s gonna damage it and what will make it turn. Stuff I’ve seen online like DTR’s vid has warnings about too much, but I haven’t seen a pic from anyone who’s used an air hammer and chisel to turn it so I just don’t have a decent idea of how much is too much.

EPA

Reaction score
I have a fork like tool for removing fans... I remove 2 bolts from the pull and then put the tool in place and put bolts back in.. So the fork has 2 holes for bolts... That has a long handle I can wedge or hold wilt I turn the fan nut. You can also back a couple bolts out, get a couple wire type clothes hangers and loop them tights around the bolts then tie them off to a fixed location... This will hold the pulley in place.. Just make sure there is enough thread engagement. Yes its a rigged up method but I have done it twice now haha.

dieselappnerd

Reaction score
Does you local parts store let you borrow tools? All the ones around here do.

I’ve got a pulley holder from them at the moment. Their fan clutch wrench set didn’t seem to have the right size, but my crescent is big enough to fit on it, and so I assume that should be ok. Are you thinking a longer handle or a perfectly tight fit will do the trick?

dmd

Reaction score
Yea.. I have the wrench and I have to put a long handle on it too.. I am probably out
over 3 feet and then it pops right off. Hard to hold both, I usually need someone to
hold the bully wrench.. The first time it is really tight..

Also make sure you are turning the nut in the correct direction.. nut turns the same way
the fan turns to loosen it

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'm with sootie on this one. Hit that mother ****er. Ive had only 1 or 2 that wouldnt move using the air hammer, anf those ended up needing a Jack handle on a ratchet on a wrench to get off. But those also had ****ed up nuts from trying to vudge them with the air hammer. Doesnt look like youve even dented the,nut..,

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online