600 hp engine rebuild

Arisley

Reaction score
its easy to work on trucks when you are home.. i have been in new york working for a year now.. not exactly feasible to haul my dually to work with me and rebuild it.. especially when it needs lots of machine work.. i dont exactly carry those items required to machine the block and balance the crank and press in cam bearings.. but i guess you have done all that yourself so you can cut guys down for not being able to do that exact thing.. when i go home with for time off, i have a problem with needing to work on toys vs visiting my family members.. family comes first.. thats why i pay someone to do it for me..

live life full throttle

I grew up with an old West Bend milling machine that my grandpa got from the Navy off a WWII boat. We used to do all of our own machine work, it was fun. Don't have one anymore. Had to pay a machine shop 400 bucks to repair two heads for my little Durango. That sucked.

I wouldnt build an engine in a truck that i couldnt put in a building and have a cement floor. Last time I pulled an motor at my house after the shop was flooded, the engine hoist was sinking into the asphalt. Then trying to frikkin rassle the engine on a stand across a ***ked up apron, no thanks. Ive r&r'd five 7.3s on gravel drives and other non-ideal conditions. Im getting too old for srupid shti like that. Can I? Yes. Will I anymore? Nope. Fixing brakes or yanking a trans isnt nothing like pulling a motor and having the vehicle outside.

Been there and done that. My driveway is downhill. First time I pull the trans, my truck was parked in the driveway nose down. Jacked the truck up, blocked it really, really good. Strapped the trans jack to the trans. Attached a come along from the jack to the trailer hitch. Unbolted every thing, pulled it back with the come along. Swapped the TC and flexplate. Put it back in place with the come along. Only time working on a hill has worked in my favor.

I have a friend with a shop with a concrete floor now. He has a lift, but it just grunts when it tries to pick up my truck.

Growing up, we didn't have a lift, but we did have a pit with concrete walls and floor. It sucked when the sump pump died.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. I pulled my built trans in December in my driveway to sell and put a used stocker in. Not fun. Not hard, but not fun.

If I had a shop again my willingness to work on stuff would become common. My truck has been sitting for three months. Changed injectors, glowplugs, etc. Got it running...busted the input shaft...never put the interior back together..."i just look at it and go....mahbe next weekend"

Latest posts

Members online